Where do I buy lice/mite treatment? HELP!

clrdogrl

Songster
11 Years
May 4, 2012
I have 3 hens and one of them is losing her neck feathers. Doesn't seem to be from feather picking so I'm assuming it might be a lice/mite issue. I just bought DE for their dust bath but since that's more of a preventative measure, I need something to actually treat the lice/mites whether it's a powder or a spray.

I was just at Tractor Supply Company and Agway looking at their supplies but I became scared because some of the warnings said not to use eggs from poultry that have been treated? Is there a certain brand/type that I should look for? I've heard something about a spray (have no idea a name or brand) that you can spray in the cracks of the coop and such. I've heard about pyrethrum but a google search says it's not approved for poultry?

HELP! Is there a go-to brand to use? What other info am I missing other than to not let myself or the chickens breath in the dust.

Yes, I held her upside down this evening and saw them scatter. I meant I assume the feather loss around the neck is from the mites. Not that I assume they have mites/lice in the first place. She has lost weight and reduced laying. I first thought it was moult but realize now it is mites/lice which brings me to what I do now! Is all mice/lite powder one and the same and is it safe to eat the eggs?

I use sevin dust. I've eaten eggs after using it, still here typing. Dust all your birds with sevin dust, dont get it in their eyes or nostrils. Redust them again in 7-10 days. Dust inside their coop and in nests, repeat again in 7-10 days.

I came across Devon dust too online. Do you buy yours at local stores? And do you put urs in pantyhose?

I came across Devon dust too online. Do you buy yours at local stores? And do you put urs in pantyhose?
You can buy it at any home improvement store in the garden section. No, I dont put it in pantyhose, others do it in that manner though.
You can do it that way if you wish.

Long ago I had some lice on my chickens. I used Sevin dust and it wiped them out. Like dawg stated, it is important to do it 7-10 days later to get any of those little devils that hatch.

I use Ravap E.C. which kills all the mites and lice quickly and you don't need to do it again because of the residual. Some people prefer powders, I prefer sprays. I use Ravap as a premise treatment too. It is important to clean out the coop entirely. Spray all nests, roosts, walls, floor, cracks, and crevices. I do it every 3 months. You can find Ravap here: http://www.jefferspet.com/ravap-ec/camid/liv/cp/A9-R2/
A9R2.jpg

Thanks for the responses. I went to Agway and couldn't find the Sevin Dust (didn't want to drive all the way to Lowe's or Home Depot) so I bought Prozap Permethrin Poultry Dust and dusted the girls and their coop thoroughly. I'll repeat in a week.

Back
Top Bottom