where do wild ducks sleep

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by darcy2, Aug 17, 2014.

1. darcy2

darcy2 New Egg

Jul 4, 2014
    Hello
    Does anyone know where wild ducks sleep at night because I have some hanging around my house and would like to know where they are sleeping. They are really friendly.

2. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    They usually take shelter in grassy or reedy patches, huddled together on a lake or riverbank or in my case, under my shrub-covered back patio. :)

3. darcy2

darcy2 New Egg

Jul 4, 2014
    Thanks heaps
    There is no water around our house.

4. kikithebird

kikithebird Chillin' With My Peeps

australian wood ducks roost in trees

5. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Oh riiiiggght, I was just talking about mallards. Because clearly no other wild duck species exists throughout the world, hehe! How short-sighted of me. Sorry! :p

Darcy, do you have any brush areas like shrubs or big grassy areas where there's a lot of cover? Or perhaps an overhanging patio or porch? They could be sleeping there. If they ARE mallards, anyway. Or maybe they just like to come to your place during the day for some good eats and get the heck outta dodge come nightfall?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  6. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    They hide in the reeds or even out in the middle of the water if it's a large enough body of water. But, I'm thinking, in your case, they are flying off somewhere where there is water and coming back each day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by