Where do you keep your feed if you don't have a shed?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by maiday206, Apr 17, 2009.

1. maiday206

maiday206 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Menifee
    Hi,

I know this is kind of a dumb question, but I'm trying to figure out the best thing to do with everything. I live in a suburban area and don't have a shed and I just got my first 3 chickens! It's great, but I have a 50lb bag of feed and a big thing of pine shavings and I'm not sure the best way to keep it. I've heard metal garbage can to keep out rats and predators so I'm thinking about getting that and putting it in the garage, but if you keep it in a metal garbage can, do you pour it out or just put the bag and all in there? I know, probably dumb questions, but I don't know anybody who has chickens so I'm on my own here.

2. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    i pour mine out of the bag into a big plastic garbage can in the coop (ideally i'd like a metal one but i'm in the process of designing a feed unit to replace the garbage cans). As for my shavings, i just leave them in the bags and store them on top of a couple skids in the garage.

3. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    mine sits in the garage. we have a lot of wild animals that would get it anywhere else. we either keep it in the bag in the back, or pour it into buckets and keep it in the front.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    we keep a bucket with a tight seal in their coop...and the rest of the feed goes down in our basement in buckets also..

5. enderwig

enderwig Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2007
    Dickinson TX
    Those plastic dog food containers work well if you need to keep it in the house. Like this

6. d_cat88

d_cat88 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2009
    Amarillo, Texas
    My coop has a storage room so I keep it in there.

7. Drivegirl54

Drivegirl54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Winder, GA
    In my kitchen [​IMG] We don't have room anywhere else

8. hikerchick

hikerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    Chicken food in a metal trash can; goat food in rubbermaid totes. The problem with the totes is that eventually the mice chew through. But the metal cans are pricey.

9. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    metal garbage cans with sturdy lids
    they can set behing the house
    Where are you going to keep chickens when they are older?

10. Renee'

Renee' Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    I've done both, keep it in the bag in the can, and pour it out of the bag into the can. Doesn't seen to make a difference either way. The only minor difference that I notice is that it's easier to scoop feed out of the can versus out of the bag.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by