Where do you keep your feed if you don't have a shed?

maiday206

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 24, 2009
Menifee
Hi,

I know this is kind of a dumb question, but I'm trying to figure out the best thing to do with everything. I live in a suburban area and don't have a shed and I just got my first 3 chickens! It's great, but I have a 50lb bag of feed and a big thing of pine shavings and I'm not sure the best way to keep it. I've heard metal garbage can to keep out rats and predators so I'm thinking about getting that and putting it in the garage, but if you keep it in a metal garbage can, do you pour it out or just put the bag and all in there? I know, probably dumb questions, but I don't know anybody who has chickens so I'm on my own here.

i pour mine out of the bag into a big plastic garbage can in the coop (ideally i'd like a metal one but i'm in the process of designing a feed unit to replace the garbage cans). As for my shavings, i just leave them in the bags and store them on top of a couple skids in the garage.

mine sits in the garage. we have a lot of wild animals that would get it anywhere else. we either keep it in the bag in the back, or pour it into buckets and keep it in the front.

we keep a bucket with a tight seal in their coop...and the rest of the feed goes down in our basement in buckets also..

In my kitchen
roll.png
We don't have room anywhere else

Chicken food in a metal trash can; goat food in rubbermaid totes. The problem with the totes is that eventually the mice chew through. But the metal cans are pricey.

metal garbage cans with sturdy lids
they can set behing the house
Where are you going to keep chickens when they are older?

I've done both, keep it in the bag in the can, and pour it out of the bag into the can. Doesn't seen to make a difference either way. The only minor difference that I notice is that it's easier to scoop feed out of the can versus out of the bag.

Back
Top Bottom