Where do you purchase your chickens?

City2CountryGirl

In the Brooder
Dec 7, 2020
I am new to buying chickens. my husband goes to a sale every last friday of the month to a chicken sale. People from all over bring their chickens to be sold. I feel bad because some of the chickens brought in there look so bad. :hit..... There were some that was so awful bloody because I guess they were picking at each other because they got the taste of blood?.

I feel like maybe it might be better to buy chickens from someone local who raises them? We ran into a random person buying feed in Tractor Supply and he was telling us about him and his wife selling chickens and wanted to see if she was interested in selling some. Well I he thought she was asking too much per head. $15? I dont know. He's told me people will throw an egg inside the cage to make it appear as if they are laying when they are really not? I dont know forgive me im still learning. Some of my chickens we have gotten so far just from me doing a little research are looking alot better then when we got them. Feathers are growing and what not. They look happier :thumbsup

Sorry I kind of rambled on.

Are you asking if $15 is too much per chick?
Depends on the breed, to be honest. If you've got something rare or super high quality, it is very possible to sell chicks for $15.
If you are selling backyard mutts, maybe $5 per chick.

I'd get chicks from a hatchery if I were you. Some popular ones are Murray McMurray, Meyer Hatchery, Ideal Poultry, Cackle Hatchery, and MyPetChicken. You order chicks online for reasonable prices and they come in the mail.

I'd get chicks from a hatchery if I were you. Some popular ones are Murray McMurray, Meyer Hatchery, Ideal Poultry, Cackle Hatchery, and MyPetChicken. You order chicks online for reasonable prices and they come in the mail.

We just received a catalog in the mail from
Cackle hatchery 😊

Back
Top Bottom