Where do your silkies "roost" ?

babsbag

Songster
10 Years
Jan 12, 2010
Anderson, CA
I am fairly new to chickens, but newer to Silkies. I have 4 silkies and a polish that were hatched the end of March. I have other mixed bantie chicks the same age. The banties roost on the roost. The silkies and the polish roost on top of their cage which is in the coop. I think I read on BYC that silkies don't roost per say. So my question is this...what do you give your silkies to sleep in, if anything? Or do they just sleep on the ground in the coop? The polish is right in there with them, they are sooo cute. I am not keeping the cage in there forever. That was just to introduce the new chicks to the flock.

There is one silkie that can't seem to figure out how to get up on the cage, 18" high. She/he walks around the cage chirping until I come and pick them up. I know they can jump up there, they are just playing with me
smile.png
Really sweet little birds.

i only have one silkie but she sits on top of my nesting box to sleep. she doesnt even use the roost i set up for her. i dont think you really have to put anything in there for them but if you want to straw works good
smile.png

Only one of my silkies can get up on my 4ft high roost. Most roost on the 1ft high one and two silkies sleep on a three inch high tub that's turned over.

A.T. Hagan :

I have one old Silkie rooster that roosts with the other birds. The other five Silkies sleep in the Silkie Pile on the ground every night.

big_smile.png
Silkie Pile...I love it!!
lau.gif
gig.gif

My Showgirl roo roosts on the roost bar with the rest of them. Their roost bar is only 5" above the (second story) floor. Last night my new Showgirl probably-pullet slept on the floor nestled under another chicken, but that was only her first night.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom