Where does your Rooster sleep?

Thanks CherryAdventure! You are the only one to not scold me on not having him in quarantine for 30 days first. Although, I do understand the reasoning behind it, I was advised by a far more seasoned then me chicken parent that they'd all do fine together. It was a spur of the moment situation as I found out about the available roo and essentially need to go get him as they had an emergency and needed to leave town. i had no time to properly research the "right" way to add a new bird, let alone a roo. all of the chickens in out county were ALL state veterinary checked as there was a AI outbreak nearby so I fell pretty confidant that he is in good health. This is all new to me I got my girls when they were a day or two old back in March.To that point I had only educated myself on laying hens. One step at a time I was thinking to myself but then chicken math took over. LOL. Fortunately, I am able to go out and ck on them and sit nearby and observe several times a day. He does nip at them a bit occasionally but nothing severe. He did also try to mount one of them and was biting her in the back of her head. I was out there cleaning at the time and broke it up.There is so much conflicting information out there it is hard to know what to do.
When he bites her on the back of the head, he's just trying to stop her running away. It may seem cruel, but it's completely natural. My retired roo, Benny, had favorites, and they would have feathers ripped out of their head and tail. He was quite.... over excited. Your roo sounds like a fairly gentle boy, so you may not get that.
smile.png
My second roo's still trying to get their trust, so he's not at that point yet.
hmm.png

My rooster sleeps on the floor of the coop while the my 5 hens sleep on the roost. Although he has never liked to be high, even when outside he will sit in between hay bales in the barn while the hens will sit on top of them.

We intended to raise some free-range this year after losing a hobby farm a few years back. Due to unforeseen circumstances, well have to wait until next year... sort of.
Our neighbors have several hens and a roo that I noticed gone about a week ago (afraid to ask) right after I noticed his absence, one of the hens bright het day old chicks to our house. She hasn't left since (5 days). I noticed instead of 9, there were so I looked around. I thought I heard the loud chirping but it would stop when I got closer. I went back to the house and about an hour later I still see she's missing one. I heard the shrill sound again and went looking. There was a neighbor's cat staring at something. And there to my surprise, wire far from the hen was a chick looking 3 days younger than the rest, as though it had just hatched. I picked it up before the cat lunged for it.
Back at the house I found the hen. I tried to return the chick but it kept nestling up to me; not wanting to 'return' to its mom.
Well as luck would have it, it clearly imprinted me as mom. The first night he, yes, a lil mama's boy, slept in our bedroom in a little basket. The second night I put the basket next to me in bed. Last night my wife said "I'm not sharing you with that rooster tonight!" LOL I was humored by how ridiculous that sounded.
It is! It's terribly ridiculous! This guy will only sleep under our neck or in a hood of our sweatshirts or in one of our hands lightly grasping him (as if he wants to still be in his egg).
I'm trying to break him of that by putting him in his nest/basket in the sunshine (live in Texas). In little bouts at a time. He gets mad, climbs out and does his dance on my feet crying loudly until I pick him up. The sane dance is done on our chest while lying down ad he tries to train us how to cuddle and console him for his short naps. This is insane. I'm not getting anything done around the house.
I wanted chickens, but lordy!
For the record, I have made further attempts to integrate him with the foster flock, he pecks at them like they're intruders and Mama looks at me like I need to stop pawning my baby on her.
So yea. My roo sleeps (FOR NOW) in our bedroom, but looking to resolve that. Suggestions welcomed! ❤❤❤

How do you keep them from crowing when out during the day?

That poster has not logged on since 2013.

I do not think it is possible to get a rooster to not crow during the day.
Keeping them in the house until well after sun up can limit the annoying before dawn waking the neighbors crowing.

That poster has not logged on since 2013.

I do not think it is possible to get a rooster to not crow during the day.
Keeping them in the house until well after sun up can limit the annoying before dawn waking the neighbors crowing.
Thank you for replying! I’ve read about no crow collars and planned to bring him inside at night, but worried he will cause problems when out in the run.

Thank you for replying! I’ve read about no crow collars and planned to bring him inside at night, but worried he will cause problems when out in the run.

No crow collars are controversial.
There are reports of roosters choking on food, getting hung up on things and suffocating.

My advice is if you must try one use with extreme vigilance and caution.

Is your rooster illegal where you are located?

No crow collars are controversial.
There are reports of roosters choking on food, getting hung up on things and suffocating.

My advice is if you must try one use with extreme vigilance and caution.

Is your rooster illegal where you are located?
No Roos allowed, but the neighbors have had one for years and years. I’d like to hatch some babies out of some good quality hens I have, but stressing over the Roo is taking all the fun out

Back
Top Bottom