Where I can get Buff Orpington fertilized eggs on/near LI, NY?

goldeneggtees

Fluffy Butt Nut
10 Years
Mar 11, 2009
Long Island, NY
Hi, I seem to have two broody 7 month old pullets. One is sort of starting the behavior, and one hasn't come out of it for at least three days now. I've been taking her out and trying but she keeps getting back in. So, my thoughts are either give in and get her some fertilized eggs to try and hatch or to put and keep her in solitary confinement until she comes out.

If I get eggs, I would prefer B/O eggs but another similar breed would be fine too. I was thinking of keeping them if hens or maybe giving or selling them to proper approved homes.

I'm located near Huntington, Long Island but willing to travel for up to an hour to get some. Thanks!
smile.png

You can just order some that are nice I just hatched some buff eggs from greenfamilyfarm and they are amazing birds.Very strong and every egg but one hatch even after having been shipped in.It is so easy to just order them and once you take the time to drive and the gas not to mention having to call around and find something you would probibly come out cheaper and sure end up with better birds just to order some of good quality.I always say it takes just as much feed and money to take care of a mutt as it does a good bird.

Michelle

I ordered eggs everyone, now what? I will put them under Mrs. Cuddlesworth as soon as they arrive, either Monday tuesday but should I do to ensure things go smoothly? When should I put them under her, do I put all under her if there 10+? I am going to have tons of questions so please be patient with me! :–)

I'd stick acouple fake eggs under the one you have that your sure is Broody til your hatching eggs arrive. Let your shipped eggs rest til evening and then put them under her while she is in her sleepy state. Pull the fake wooden or plastic eggs out then. She should be able to handle 10 +.

Thanks, I see that the shipper says to let them sit for 24 hours to let them settle. Makes sense. She does have fake eggs under her for now but only one or two, does that matter? If it all works out and they do hatch, approx. how many days till they hatch?

Quote:
Yes, you can let them rest that long. One or two fake eggs are plenty. If you set the eggs under her in the evening, count the next day as day one and 21 days or so later you should have chicks. She will know when it's time to get up after the hatch.

Unfortunately she's been broody for probably over a week now, will that hurt her success rate? And she hasn't really been eating or drinking during this time except when I've purposely taken her off the nest and forced her outside with the others. I really wanted to break her of the broodiness but decided to go in another direction when she wasn't responding to my actions. Will she be ok since she hasn't eaten or drank very much on her own accord? I've put feed and drink next to her but she has seemed to ignore it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom