Where is everyone from?

South western New York here. My coop is built into a horse stall off the side of our garage. I'm hoping tarps over the wire part and a heat lamp or two will be warm enough for my girls.

I live in South Dakota and we used a couple layers of this stuff in the walls plus a couple heat lamps and it's plenty warm in the wintertime.
Screenshot_20201023-193336.png

Hi Maltese.

I’m in Quebec, but originally from Ontario. I built my coop last year. My coop is up on 4x4 posts, framed with 2x4s, 2” hard foam insulation between the 2x4s, plywood walls on the inside, rough cedar from a sawmill (mostly outer round boards) for the outside, with a roof, also insulated. Might seem like overkill, but the water still froze at the beginning of last winter. I added a heated water reservoir and a ceramic bulb that is very securely attached to the ceiling and is about 3 feet from the floor. I use a winter extension cord from the co-op store. It was listed for outdoor farm use.

It gets cold here, sometimes -30*C for weeks for daytime highs.

Depending on your climate, you would probably be fine with good insulation. Keep in mind that your coop needs air circulation, but not drafts.

Back
Top Bottom