Where Is The Best Place To Live In The USA?

Quote:
Honestly, you wouldn't even get a garage for $80,000 here . . .

Here are the average house prices for the whole country as of yesterday, and bear in mind that £1 = ~$2 . . . . -

Average Cost: £210,578
Detached: £323,332
Semi-detached: £189,617
Terraced: £168,134
Flat: £196,505
Change in last quarter: +0.2%
Change in last year: +9.25%

That is why lots of first time buyers can't get on the property ladder right now, and why Offspring (and me) are amazed at how much you can get for your money in the US. In 3 or 4 years time, I'll be looking at getting my first property . . . and I really don't know how I'm going to afford it, unless there is a house price crash in that time.

Offspring - beware that (AFAIK) house prices in the US are falling.

Quote:

Canada...

lau.gif

Forgot about that! Live in BC. And if you start a family and have kids, your wife/future wife can park in the "expecting mother and mother" reserved parking spots!

Quote:

Canada...

See I was going to suggest that VERY thing but thought I would get blasted. Being a Canuck in the US means shutting ones pie hole & hoping someone else says what you are thinking, on occasion. BC would be perfect for you - climate is mild (yes thats MILD for Canada), beautiful mountains, etc. When I move back I will probably go to Sask. cannot handle the humidity that BC has but I still want water rights.......Canada will be easier to get into paper work wise (we are the ones that let everyone & their dog in), you will not have such a language barrier
roll.png
, you have national health care, and can travel the states any time to see what you are missing......

Well that's nice to hear.

In Canada we hate everybody equally so no one feels left out.

Westerners do not like Easterners and visa versa, newfies are always getting hit with dum jokes, the French are just SO easy, the Brit's are so stiff,Ukrainian's jokes can be subsituted for Newfie jokes, Scottish & Jewish jokes same thing.

We have a VERY broad ethnic base & the FOOD is DELiSH! I am constantly making immigrant jokes at work (secretly hoping to get called out - they do not get it until I point it out) and no one ever gets that the person saying these disparaging things is an Immigrant. After I point it out they always say "that's different your American Light".

Edit for bad grammer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I should have included BC in my Pacific Northwest is wonderful rave, and New Brunswick is lovely, much like Maine. I like Nova Scotia too, but my guess is that flat, arable land is at a premium there. As for those Central Canadian plains state, brrrrrrrrrrrr, just like those central US plains states.

The reason I suggested Canada was because I lived there for a year working as an agricultural consultant for the province of Ontario and LOVED IT!!! I lived in London and it was such a safe, clean city with plenty to do. Toronto was a short drive and the farmers involved in agriculture were extremely professional and ran top-notch operations. I also loved the regulations that limited residential development in farm land areas. If I didn't share custody of my son, I would move back in a heartbeat!!!

I didn't even attempt to read the 18 pages of replies, but I can tell you that $400,000 would buy a BIG farm in Mississippi. I just built a 2800 sq ft home with lots of custom additions. 3/4 brick siding with metal roof. 5 bd rm 3 full baths.bla bla bla....appraised for 160k. land runs for approx 1000 to 1500 per acre unless buying small lots...the crime and traffic will depend where you live. I'm in the country in north central MS..4 hrs from the coast. My family has approx 400 acres of rolling hills and woods. I don't even know where the key is that unlocks my doors. Only time the door is locked is when we're in the house at night.

the front doors stays locked because the dog has figured out how to open it...one of those thumb push types:p , but the garage and back doors aren't locked. I don't even worry about getting robbed, but if it happens, I'd rather them just walk in and take what they want..I surely don't want them to break that front door glass out....toooo expensive and tooooo much trouble to replace..
tongue.png

good luck

Last edited:
Northcentral South Carolina is nice, we are only 2 1/2 hours from the mountains, and 3 1/2 hours from the ocean. $400,000 would buy you a whole ranch here. It doesn't get too cold, or too warm, snow maybe once a year if you are lucky, but still a definite 4 seasons.

Back
Top Bottom