Where should I put my brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RW19290, Nov 11, 2008.

1. RW19290

RW19290 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Southern California
    I don't know where to put my brooder. I want to put it in a place that is sort of out of the way. Any ideas?

2. Dottie Pratt

Dottie Pratt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Arkansas
    I have one in my laundry room.
    And one in the barn.
    I'm very new to all this so I'm trying different places.

Good luck where ever you put your's

And welcome

Dottie

3. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    First of all [​IMG]. Do you happen to have an old shed? We used our shed & it worked great bc it was next to the house so that I could check on the peeps at my leisure & they were out of the weather. You could also put it in a corner of your garage or work shop...just a thought [​IMG].

4. RW19290

RW19290 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Southern California
    Quote:Garage??? hmmm... wouldn't be too loud for the poor chicks?

5. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    We put our brooder in the garage. My husband is usually working around out there and the poor little things quickly get used to all the noise and commotion going on!

6. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    I suppose as long as your car wasn't running for too long in the garage & had adequate ventilation of the gas fumes, then it wld be okay. Some people even put it in their laundry rms if it's large enough. You cld even put it in a spare bedrm if you have a spare one. [​IMG]

7. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I put newly hatched peeps in rubbermaid totes in my spare bedroom until they are 2 weeks old and then move them to the big wooden brooder out in the barn. [​IMG]

8. chandasue

chandasue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    MN
    We have ours in the laundry room. The first load of laundry I did freaked them out but they're fine now. It's nice because the sink is right there to clean things up.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    You can keep it just about anywhere, barn, shed, garage, basement, laundry room and some have used a spare bathroom. I personally kept them in my barn. I used a 1/2"x 1" wire brooder that snakes, rats and other critters can't get into. I use a brooder lamp until they get their feathers to keep them warm. I start out at keeping the brooder at 95 degrees and reduce it 5 degrees evey week. When my little girls were about a month old I moved the brooder into a shed which has been made into a nursery coop. It has everything but nest boxes. At about 4 months the little girls get introduced to the big girls and are allowed to free range together and then they get moved into the big coop which has nest boxes. I keep a red light on 24/7 in both of my coops. [​IMG]

10. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I have two brooders right next to me when I sit at my puter. They're not in MY way, but I can't say the same for the rest of my family! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by