Where should my baby chicks be at?

If it were me, I'd have them inside. I couldn't even let my chicks be in the garage when it was in the 50's outside.

Temperature isn't an issue, I brood chicks outdoors down in the 40s without a problem. But security is in this case, and a garage would be a safer option if one is available.

So I just got 4 baby chicks from the feed store and I’ve put them in a big rectangular bucket with food, water, bedding, and a red heat lamp. But the only place I can put them are on my back porch and the low outside is about 56 degrees Fahrenheit. My back porch has a roof and it’s on a high ground with tall wooden fences. But is it ok for them to be there? They are actually being ok in there but I don’t know if it’s a good idea for them to be there for now until they get bigger. And they have a heat lamp in their bucket.
No, its not. You aren’t thinking. The temperature outside is too low and it’s dangerous to leave them where animals or anything can happen to them. Put them in your closet, bathroom kitchen anywhere they will be safe. Have you thought about giving them to someone with experience who can raise them for you? If you were close by I could come get them.

So I just got 4 baby chicks from the feed store and I’ve put them in a big rectangular bucket with food, water, bedding, and a red heat lamp. But the only place I can put them are on my back porch and the low outside is about 56 degrees Fahrenheit. My back porch has a roof and it’s on a high ground with tall wooden fences. But is it ok for them to be there? They are actually being ok in there but I don’t know if it’s a good idea for them to be there for now until they get bigger. And they have a heat lamp in their bucket.
What city are you in? There may be a farm center or bird rescue that can help you or take them.

Unless that porch is fully enclosed, they're in danger. Is that what you mean by "regular room?" Everything will eat chickens, and many of those things can climb pretty much any fence: raccoons, cats, possum...
It’s almost enclosed and on a very high area. And the fences are very tall, the fences are more like walls instead because the material is just plain wood and there’s nothing to grab onto on the wooden walls so it would be a bit difficult for any predators to climb up unless if they can fly or jump really high.

What city are you in? There may be a farm center or bird rescue that can help you or take them.
I live out in the country, but the nearest big town is about more than 30 minutes away from me. I can put the chicks in the house if I can. I’ll see if I can do it right now.

Pictures would really help. What you're describing to me sounds like a sunroom, a patio, a garden and a porch. Of those, 1, maybe 2 are safe enough to brood chicks depending on predators native to your area
The area may be like a patio on a high elevated place. So it may be more enclosed than a porch.

I live out in the country, but the nearest big town is about more than 30 minutes away from me. I can put the chicks in the house if I can. I’ll see if I can do it right now.
Oh no. If you live out in the country even more predators are out like cats, dogs, weasels, opossums, muscrats, large wood rats and chicken hawks would love a midnight snack! That is unless the nighttime temperature doesn’t kill them.

Oh no. If you live out in the country even more predators are out like cats, dogs, weasels, opossums, muscrats, large wood rats and chicken hawks would love a midnight snack! That is unless the nighttime temperature doesn’t kill them.
I haven’t seen any weasels, opossums, or any kind of rats anywhere actually. And any nearby dog would not be able to jump high enough. Any nearby cats are too afraid to approach the porch and my family has pet cats too but our cats are afraid of the chicks. All I’m concerned about is the temperature because my siblings and my parents don’t really recommend having the chicks in the house. Our house is pretty small so it’s hard to know where to place the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom