Where to buy chickens?

I've bought from tractor supply and from a couple of different online hatcheries. TSC is definitely cheaper, since there is no shipping charges. I prefer online. It may cost more, but your selection of breeds is huge. They aren't show birds, but I don't show birds so not really a concern. I prefer Meyer hatchery. They have a low minimum amount during the warmer months and they don't give you extra males for body heat (the put a heat pack in the box). I've ordered lots of birds from them and only ever had 1 chick that failed to thrive and 1 that was sexed wrong. I consider that pretty good.

Online hatcheries are great for variety, but I recommend trying a local NPIP-certified breeder for quality. You may pay a little more upfront, but the babies won't be shipped and odds are, the parents will be well cared for and available on site. If they're breeding to a particular SOP they will know what's what. They will be active on sites like this one or other breed-specific sites and they'll have posted pictures of their birds.

When it comes time to try and get Marans again, I will go to a breeder. I've tried twice now from local feed stores, and have had NO luck. My first "Black Copper Marans" was a Jersey Giant. My second "Cuckoo Marans" probably is a Cuckoo, but she lays the lightest color eggs -- my RIR lays darker eggs than her. So..... I will go to someone with a solid breeding history to get what I want.

They were both nice hens, though.

For general layers, my Barred Rocks and Leghorns, bought from the feed store are great producers and very healthy. No health issues that I've found. My RIR has very thin-shelled eggs, and has had this since her first egg (no added oyster shells, or food changes have helped).

I hesitate to order chicks through the mail because the shipping costs are so expensive! Plus I worry about the "extra rooster" thing.
Agree, normally most feed stores wouldn't even be holding black copper marans because they are an expensive breed known for excellent physical traits and dark brown eggs. eBay has ones that are"npip certified" and are of excellent quality. If the hatching eggs are too cheap that you purchase from some sellers then they tend to be of poor quality, both the chickens and eggs.

When it comes time to try and get Marans again, I will go to a breeder. I've tried twice now from local feed stores, and have had NO luck. My first "Black Copper Marans" was a Jersey Giant. My second "Cuckoo Marans" probably is a Cuckoo, but she lays the lightest color eggs -- my RIR lays darker eggs than her. So..... I will go to someone with a solid breeding history to get what I want.

They were both nice hens, though.

For general layers, my Barred Rocks and Leghorns, bought from the feed store are great producers and very healthy. No health issues that I've found. My RIR has very thin-shelled eggs, and has had this since her first egg (no added oyster shells, or food changes have helped).

I hesitate to order chicks through the mail because the shipping costs are so expensive! Plus I worry about the "extra rooster" thing.
Check out Fat Hen Farms for Marans.

http://cackhatchery.com has always provided me with healthy, well laying, and beautiful stock. I think my local feed store buys from Ideal hatchery, their stock was also strong and hardy for me.

Ive bought directly from show/heritage breeders, way more expensive but you get really nice quality and healthy birds when buying from a well known established breeder. But Ive also purchased sick/infertile birds from well known breeders (will never buy from those breeders again)

Ive also had great luck buying from craigslist and off facebook! You just have to make sure the seller is a responsible breeder, I usually can tell by emailing them or talking on the phone pretty quickly if they are going to give me good stock or if they just hatch out chicks to sell.

Also most chicken clubs have directories with breeders within their club, if youre looking for a certain type of bird.

All that being said cacklehatchery & purchasing day old chicks from well known breeders are my go to sources!

Cheers :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom