Where to buy show bird genetics?

Bluberry

In the Brooder
Jan 9, 2024
As the title says,
How would I connect with breeders of show birds to get started with my own flock of apa bred birds?

It depends on a lot of factors: the breed you are interested in, how common they are, if you're willing to hatch eggs or want started or even mature birds, and more. I would start by learning the standard before buying anything. That will help you get an eye for what to look for. Visit local poultry shows and join the breed club for the breed(s) you're interested in.

When you are ready to acquire stock, be patient and wait for the right birds or the right breeder. Networking at shows and through FB groups is a good way to get recommendations. Some breeders are willing to sell hatching eggs. That is probably the most affordable way to get started, followed by chicks. However, some breeders only sell juvenile or started birds after they have selected the ones they plan to keep. These are often more expensive because they have been grown on for a while but you have the benefit of seeing exactly what you're getting. Depending on the breed and local availability, you may have to have stock shipped to you. That runs the risk of not seeing in person what you're getting. That is where networking and getting recommendations comes in. But it is a risk.

Also want to point out that even breeders who have raised birds for decades and win often produce culls. Not every bird is perfect. Beware the breeder using another person's name to sell their birds. "From so and so's show winning / well known lines". I can tell you from first hand experience that it doesn't take long to ruin a good line if the new owner isn't being selective in choosing breeders.

What breeds are popular? What breeds are in decline? What dictates popularity? And is showing the maine priority for most breeders or do they operate egg/meat/stock sale business to keep operations going?

Again, all of that varies by where you are in the world. In my area at a recent show, there were hundreds of bantams of just about any breed but less than 20 large fowl chickens of all breeds combined.

Popularity can be based on appearance, usefulness, or even just availability.

What breeders do is very individual to them. For me, I only hatch for myself. After I choose what I want to keep, I butcher or sell the rest. I simply don't have the space to hatch chicks for sale and I don't keep my breeding pens together long enough to collect hatching eggs to sell. Other breeders with more space or perhaps smaller breeds are willing to sell eggs, chicks, or older stock.

What breed are you interested in showing? A clean leg, solid color breed is usually easiest to learn on before branching out into patterns and keeping feathered legs neat. However, you need to choose a breed you are passionate about in order to have fun and be an asset to the breed.

What breeds are popular? What breeds are in decline? What dictates popularity? And is showing the maine priority for most breeders or do they operate egg/meat/stock sale business to keep operations going?
Popularity can change very quickly. Near me, a few years ago it was Bantam Cochins. Now it seems to be Silkies.
The declining breeds are the more rare breeds. A lot of foreign bantams, Jersey Giant Bantams, Light Sussex, Sultans, Buttercups. The ABA even has a list of inactive breeds. It does depend on your country though.
Start with good quality birds and focus on the body shape. You get around a 1 to 10 ratio of show quality to nothing birds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom