Where to get chicks?

A & H

Songster
Dec 2, 2019
Nampa Idaho
I decided to get chicks this spring to replace my four year olds that died this week. I had gotten them from Dunlaps, four of them, one was a rooster and we had to give him away. One of my hens died from something related to bugs and the other two were killed by a hawk. I was just gonna buy them from Dunlaps (I live in idaho) but i looked at the reviews and half said everything was really good and half said either the chicks had Mareks or they were all roosters or the customer service was horrible. I did have one rooster so im thinking maybe there is some truth to the claims. Also Dunlaps has only 3 of the breeds I want, I think. The main problem is I don't know where I can online order so that I can get just four chicks and I don't end up with packing peanuts (Don't have space). I suppose I could give them to a friend, but if at all possible I would like just four. Does anyone know of a good website or can advise me on Dunlaps? Thanks

I decided to get chicks this spring to replace my four year olds that died this week. I had gotten them from Dunlaps, four of them, one was a rooster and we had to give him away. One of my hens died from something related to bugs and the other two were killed by a hawk. I was just gonna buy them from Dunlaps (I live in idaho) but i looked at the reviews and half said everything was really good and half said either the chicks had Mareks or they were all roosters or the customer service was horrible. I did have one rooster so im thinking maybe there is some truth to the claims. Also Dunlaps has only 3 of the breeds I want, I think. The main problem is I don't know where I can online order so that I can get just four chicks and I don't end up with packing peanuts (Don't have space). I suppose I could give them to a friend, but if at all possible I would like just four. Does anyone know of a good website or can advise me on Dunlaps? Thanks
If you wait until after April first for your ship date, Meyer Hatchery has a 3 chick minimum.
I've purchased from them twice.

Either hatchery has good reviews here. Can you make up an order with other nearby folks? That has worked very well for me often. Check on your state thread, and with anyone in your area who has chickens.
Here the farm stores are famous for having cockerels in their pullet bins, and breed mixups too, very often. It helps to know what the breeds you want look like before buying, although that's not going to help with the cockerel issue.
It's far better for the feed stores to have their chick bins off limits for everyone except staff! At least folks aren't in there moving birds around, and everything else that goes with having too much handling.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom