Where to get fresh grass cuttings/clippings?

Believe me, you DO NOT want a pile of fresh grass clippings unless you can get it IMMEDIATELY.

One time a while back my neighbor dumped a pile for me from his bagger-mower (for mulching my garden), and I couldn't spread it out for a day or two and you would not believe the STENCH.

Rotten cabbage has nothing on rotting grass clippings.
Oh yuck! I did used to get grass from a neighbor many years ago (up north), but he always brought it over as soon as he was done. He always gave a few piles to the horses too. They loved it. It was always super green and smelled great. Your neighbor must've been leaving it to rot 🤢. Yuck!

Oh yuck! I did used to get grass from a neighbor many years ago, but he always brought it over as soon as he was done. He always have a few piles to the horses too. They loved it. It was always super green and smelled great. Your neighbor must've been leaving it to rot 🤢. Yuck!

No, he brought it over fresh. But it took less than 48 hours to rot in the heat of summer.

Can't your chickens get impacted crop from grass clippings
Yep, if it's long cuts, not mulched, if they eat too much in one sitting. But then you'll hear from other folks who swear they always do it, and have never had a problem. I know I see more posts asking for help with crop problems after mowing season starts... 🤷‍♀️

Can't your chickens get impacted crop from grass clippings
I free ranged for many years on grass and also fed it freely and never encountered any issues, but thanks for the heads up!! I'll keep an eye out and give it in small amounts.

Back
Top Bottom