where to get grit for four-week old chicks

Tfarmer

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 14, 2012
I read a lot about giving the youngsters grit, but where to find it? I do give them root balls and spread crumbly soil on their food (like a salt shaker full) -- is this enough?

Thanks.

I don't know how much they need, but I've gotten parakeet gravel for mine before. That seemed to work well.
smile.png

Any feed store will carry chick grit and adult chicken grit. Parakeet grit is available at any pet store. At 4 weeks I would put them outside. They need to get their feet on the grass and dirt. They will scratch and eat dirt and sand and small pebbles. Some say free range chickens do not need grit, they get it on there own. I toss a couple hand fulls into the run every now and then to make sure they have something when they scratch around.

I don't think so.....May want to read the label. I thought that's why you put a cuddle bone in with parakeets, to provide calcium.

I did some quick research and you can find parakeet grit that has calcium. Its usually called something like "bird grit plus". Good call, read the ingredients.

I don't think so.....May want to read the label. I thought that's why you put a cuddle bone in with parakeets, to provide calcium.

Yes, for parakeets, but chicks do not need the extra calcium. A lot of parakeet grit is fortified with extra calcium, definitely check the label. As was mentioned, any place that carries chick/chicken feed should have chick grit available. It is finer textured than what full grown chickens eat.

Back
Top Bottom