Where to get mealworms?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by JCfans, Nov 4, 2008.

1. JCfans

JCfans Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2008
    Central Illinois
    I was wondering if you guys knew where I could get some mealworms. We ordered 2000 mealworms from wormman.com 2 months ago and never got them nor can I get them to answer my emails or phone call. So needless to say I have given up seeing those mealies or my money. I know there has been a shortage but would really like to get a culture going. If anyone knows a good place to get them it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Chad

2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Chad,
    I get mine at a local pet shop.

3. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Check out some of the larger pet stores. They shoule have them. After that you can raise your own.

4. ChickenTender63

ChickenTender63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Alamance, NC
    bait stores for fisherman often carry them as fishing bait as well.

Good luck

5. JCfans

Jul 8, 2008
    Central Illinois
    Thanks I will have to check them out. My local fish store didn't have any last time I checked but I will have to make another trip. They are pretty expensive there though.

6. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Can you raise meal worms ? If I get some how do I farm them myself ?:eek:

7. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Chad - Did you order the mealworms or superworms? Because i think most place are still low on mealworms. i order the superworms from wormman.com on a regular basis and they arrive in a couple of days.

8. JCfans

Jul 8, 2008
    Central Illinois
    I ordered mealworms. I know there is still a shortage but they wont return any of my emails or phone calls to let me know whats happening so I have to assume I will never see them after 2 months of waiting.

chicken woman - You can raise them. There is a thread around here somewhere with directions on how to do it. I will search around and see if I can find it.

9. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

After you raise a gazillion of them and have no more room for them, put them in dehydrator! Doesn't lower the protein level and you don't have to worry about continuing to feed them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by