Where to place the feeders

Water and food in the covered run. We have a 4x8 coop. Want as much room inside as possible.

Attachments

• 20181110_120535.jpg
    20181110_120535.jpg
    838.9 KB · Views: 18
You have a beautiful coop
As Mary said, you need to cover your coop if you have aerial predators, even if you don't have aerial predators, be sure no predator can dig or climb to your hens

My coop is small, so I feed and water outside, in the covered run. I get up at dawn to open the coop, but in summer when it's hot I have a small pail of water in the coop too, so they always have water if I'm a little late, easier to happen in summer when daylight comes earlier.

Since my waterer tends to leak, I leave it outside while the food is inside. If I leave the food out it gets wet since I don't have a good place to put it close to the coop.

Since my waterer tends to leak, I leave it outside while the food is inside. If I leave the food out it gets wet since I don't have a good place to put it close to the coop.

I'd get a new waterer if you can't get it fixed. Not only is dampness in general something to avoid, even in a run, but you also don't want it to get to the point where you're always having to refill it.

How's everything going?
Just wanted to share my setup and some thoughts...

109.jpg
My runs (one on each side of my coop) are completely covered and secure so I don't have to get out there at the crack of dawn every day and my lazy butt can sleep in! Then I open the run doors so they can have access to a bigger yard.

Those horizontal nipple waterers (like you have) are great and don't seem to leak like some others I've tried. The main concern about keeping water inside the coop is the humidity level and possibility of spilling. I keep a humidity thermometer inside so I can see what's up.
This advice was given to me a while back:
My goals with humidity is to keep it as close to outside humidity as possible.

Let say it is 40° F outside with humidity of 50%. If my readings inside are 60% or more I make sure to remove water dishes from the coop, clean up any poo and open another vent if I have any closed.

If it is more than 75% inside while 50% or lower outside I do a full bedding change in addition to opening all the vents.

Something to remember is if it is you wont be able to get lower humidity inside then what it is outside.
It helps knowing in winter to manage moisture to prevent frostbite.

I think keeping food inside the coop is fine (and water if you need to). The main concern with feed placement seems to be whether other critters will have access to it outside and how often the chickens can get access. You also don't have to keep the food and water in the same location, they will learn where to go to get what they need. I also have extra water stations all over the yard and I do keep the grit and oyster shell next to the food. People have success with many different situations so whatever works best for you and keeps your chickens safe and happy, that's the best place.

Back
Top Bottom