Where you buy chicken food?

Wow! You are all making me feel lucky!
There is a nearby TSC that seems well managed enough - there are at least 3 mature long time employees that are friendly and helpful (usually), but have not run into any employee with a bad attitude there. But, like all TSC, need to ALWAYS check feed dates, have seen a wide range.

We have a farm store 15 min in one direction that carries Hubbard feeds, but the employees LACK personality of any kind, and when they do show some personality it comes across as impatient and annoyed. So, while the feed is fresh and good quality it gets tiring to feel uncomfortable when paying them good money.

We have another farm store 15 min in other direction, and it carries different brands, large selection across the board of farm supplies, and feed seems to have decent dates, but can’t find a feed for which I like the label, so I don’t get my feed there.

We have a third farm store 25-30 min away (and luckily on spouse’s route to work) that carries Kalmbach feeds. Have experienced really helpful and really NOT helpful employees, but the owners are friendly and helpful, so that makes a difference. This is where I currently buy my 20% protein feed (non layer)...well, I should say spouse usually buys it, as they pass it on route to work!

And, if necessary, there is yet another large chain farm store in the town my spouse works in, so, if needed, could get something fairly easily...not sure what brands of feed they sell, nor how well they rotate stock since we’ve never purchased feed there.

I order kalmbach from chewy.com.
Chickens like it and I don't have to deal with anyone. Perfect solution for me as i'm lazy and antisocial. :)
:lau
I order from Amazon because chewy doesn’t have what I want. And I live smack-dab in the middle of nowhere :cool:
Nature Wise 18* no soy Pellets (less waste and the sparrows can’t eat them too large)
And...the UPS driver is a Hottie! I don’t care that those little brown shorts call me ma’am. I just love getting packages! :woot

There's someone local selling chicken feed for about $9 for a 50 lb bag, but I don't know if I can trust that it contains all the essential nutrients in order for chickens to thrive. So.... I stick to the Tractor Supply Store near here, but it's expensive! Like $18.99 for a 50 lb bag of grower feed. I think I might have to give the local feed a go because the prices of feed from the store is killing me!!

I think this is the one time I am happy that I went from quail to chickens. I was paying about 26 dollars for 40 pounds of game bird feed. Now anything less than that feels like a steal! 10 extra pounds and a couple bucks less!

There is a nearby TSC that seems well managed enough - there are at least 3 mature long time employees that are friendly and helpful (usually), but have not run into any employee with a bad attitude there.
I don’t like going into a store and knowing more than the employees. It seems here lately the employees in both TSC stores would be alright if I met them at a bar or a nightclub. :lau

I order kalmbach from chewy.com.
Chickens like it and I don't have to deal with anyone. Perfect solution for me as i'm lazy and antisocial. :)
I was getting that from amazon fall 2015, it was $30 for a big bag and I only had 8 chickens... then the price went up to $45 and I found a farmer that got organic feed from indiana and charge $25 for 50lbs.. and delivered because I also was buying pork from her :wee... of course they ended having personal issues and got rid of the pigs and quit selling feed.:hit

Back
Top Bottom