Where's the extra toe

Pampered chicken girl

🎶My angels and demons at war with myself🎶
Premium Feather Member
Apr 10, 2022
So this morning one of my chicks hatched! I am so excited but I'm also very surprised! My chick doesn't have an extra toe. The parents are a silkie/EE mom (with an extra toe) and a full silkie dad (with an extra toe). I have 2 other 75%silkie 25%EE eggs in the incubator so I'm curious to see if they have an extra toe. Do you think it's just a genetic different 🤔
Thanks

So this morning one of my chicks hatched! I am so excited but I'm also very surprised! My chick doesn't have an extra toe. The parents are a silkie/EE mom (with an extra toe) and a full silkie dad (with an extra toe). I have 2 other 75%silkie 25%EE eggs in the incubator so I'm curious to see if they have an extra toe. Do you think it's just a genetic different 🤔
Thanks
Congratulations on your new chick!😍

With Silkie mixes you can get many combinations of toes. I often have one that has 5 toes on one foot and 4 on the other. Some that have 5 toes on both feet (like my current 3/4 Silkie, 1/4 Ameraucana mix) and I’ve had some that only have 4 toes on each foot. It also happens in my pure Silkies on occasion. There does not seem to be any pattern that I could figure out.😊

Congratulations on your new chick!😍
Thanks!
With Silkie mixes you can get many combinations of toes. I often have one that has 5 toes on one foot and 4 on the other. Some that have 5 toes on both feet (like my current 3/4 Silkie, 1/4 Ameraucana mix) and I’ve had some that only have 4 toes on each foot. It also happens in my pure Silkies on occasion. There does not seem to be any pattern that I could figure out.😊
That's what I thought! Thanks!

So the second chick (also from a 75% silkie 25% EE mom with an extra toe, not the same mom though) has an extra toe.

Back
Top Bottom