Whethering a goat

AltonaAcres

Crowing
Jan 13, 2019
Thats pretty old. It will be a painful and long ordeal if you decide to band them. I would recommend a different method at this point. Talk with your vet about options.

cassie

Crowing
Mar 19, 2009
It depends on how big the testicles are. If they are mini goats it may be doable. If they are standard size goats probably not. I have banded some fairly well developed bucklings though. Pull the scrotum through the band first and then work the testicles through one at a time. Be sure to give a tetanus shot. It is very important that you get BOTH testicles.

lugboxer10

Songster
Apr 22, 2014
Long Island, NY
Thank you for the replies. Based on the feedback, I will not band them. They are minis, but one of them has a pretty big set on him. It just seems too......uncomfortable to go the banding route.

cassie

Crowing
Mar 19, 2009
Just a comment. You know how well developed your bucklings are and I don't. However, if they can be banded the discomfort only lasts a couple hours or so, if that, At least that has been my experience.

oldhenlikesdogs

Suffering Succotash
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
Jul 16, 2015
Wisconsin
I've had a vet castrate a few by sedation and cutting. It wasn't any less painful for the goats. So no matter how it's done they are gonna be sore for a while and you will need to watch for infections.

AltonaAcres

Crowing
Jan 13, 2019
You could get the vet to give them pain meds before banding. That way by the time the meds wear off, the circulation is cut off and they are pretty numb.

Top Bottom