Whey Protein for chickens?

RedHead

Songster
11 Years
Jan 22, 2009
East Lake, NC
Hubby just got me thinking that maybe for extra protein we could mix some whey protein, like from GNC, in with their feed or mix some for them to try. They're molting and egg production has substantially dropped. I was wondering if anyone had tried it, or had any thoughts on it? Our feed store doesn't carry calf manna
roll.png

Hmmmm...interesting idea. I hadn't thought of doing that, but I think they usually have artificial sweeteners in them and that might be a problem. My "100% Premium Whey Protein" has Acesulfame Potassium and Sucralose (Splenda) as sweeteners. I'm not sure how safe those are for the birds...they're not humans.

For extra protein, I feed mine sunflower seeds and either scrambled or hard-boiled eggs. They also get into the cat food every once in a while...poor outside kitty! Also, bugs are good...if they don't get many bugs in their run, you could get them crickets or mealworms or soldier fly larvae, etc...

Yea I was worried about the sweeteners too, but hubby swears there's one that's JUST the whey protein?
idunno.gif
I'll look around in GNC today and see if there is one that would work, if not I'll stick with the scrambled eggs when hubby's not looking lol, he says that his dad told him when he used to work on a farm that feeding them eggs (even though they're cooked without shells) will cause them to eat their eggs and I've tried explaining why it's actually good for them, but he's the stubborn type that 'knows' he's right
roll.png

Last edited:
Start making your own cheese and put the whey out for them
smile.png
No sweeteners in that
smile.png

(I'm only half kidding; look up 30-minute mozzarella. It's really easy, gives you almost a pound of cheese and 3 quarts of whey. And it's way cheaper than buying cheese and a protein supplement).

Stay away from splenda, nutrisweet, sorbitol, any high-fructoxe corn syrup, sweet n low, etc. Best sweetner is molasses for all animals and good for humans too. Loaded with essential minerals as opposed to being loaded with toxins and carcinogens in all of the synthetic man-made junk.

So, is it good? It is derived from cheese and they seem to love cottage cheese. (great protein too)

What about organic soy protein?

I am trying to avoid giving my hens soy. Read up and soy and hormones. We have a hen right now dying from ovarian cancer.
Soy is often the number one ingredient in chicken feeds.

Ovarian cancer is so prevalent in chickens that researchers are studying them to help find a cure for people.

Flax seed has been show to help. See the article below,
http://www.aces.uiuc.edu/news/stories/news5165.html

We are going to a soy-free feed for this reason.

I also stopped drinking soy milk.

noelle

Whey Protein Isolate 90% Do you want the best protein money can buy? Whey protein isolate is the foundation for any sports professional or general fitness enthusiasts diet. Protein is our number one product of choice here at IronScience.co.uk. It is the main ingredient for muscle growth and development.

whey protein and whey protein powder by IronScience.co.uk

I'm betting that there are much cheaper protein suppliments than that for chickens. As for the sweeteners, they aren't good for us, either. I'd do as you say and slip them the eggs when hubby isn't looking.

Back
Top Bottom