Which are the rare breeds in highest demand now? Which ones will still maintain a high price tag in

Ok so it looks like the Salmon Faverolle Salmon, not the wildtype salmon .
I think what you need is a copy of the book "21st century poultry breeding ". the man who wrote it , Grant , is a world renowned expert on Wyandottes in all their colors. he talks a lot about the genetics of Wyandotte colors. he has a website ( he's in England) called http://www.gbpoultry.com. Also another excellent website called https://poultrykeeper.com
I would get his book and get a hold of him and find out how to make this salmon in the United States.
Karen

Last edited:
If you want to get your student debts paid off (and buy food without taking out more loans), I suggest you just spend the time "working on other peoples' s spreadsheets", because at least you will get paid, and can start learning your chicken business on the side.

You can learn a lot from reading/study but you will make mistakes and nothing beats real life experience with inexpensive birds.

There are many many educated people (by life experience and/or multiple degrees including vets) on this site, who have passed their knowledge on to other BYC members, who in turn pass it on to new members. I would be careful to not disrespect the vast majority of BYC members because most are or become well educated about chickens. They also give them a very high level of care, and are your potential buyers of high value birds.

To answer your initial question, have had many different beautiful breeds of chickens including new and desirable ones. I have also enjoyed improving several breeds over the years, but have for sure not made any money overall selling chicks.

The biggest thing for me raising chicks/chickens has been like Kenny would sing--"You gotta know when to hold them and know when to fold them"" If my Gut says to sell----they are gone.

PD that's hysterical !! it's so true, but what a way to put it.!!
1f601.png

Karen

OP,

I, too, felt insulted by your earlier comments.

What you don't realize here is that you will never get the kind of answers you are seeking by asking the way that you are. Someone mentioned it a page or two back that you come across as arrogant. I agree with this. Personally, even if I had the answers you want, I wouldn't be inclined to share them with someone that seems like a tantrum-throwing child that believes he is entitled to something simply because he wants it.

I've raised chickens for over 15 years. I've bought from Tractor Supply, local feed stores, mail-order hatcheries,the 'chicken man' that sells up on the corner, hobbyists, BYC members, and dedicated breeders. I've bought hatching eggs and hatched from my own flock. I've used broodies as well as a range of incubators from cheapy styrofoam up to nicer Brinsea's. I've taken some chickens to the vet, and not taken others to the vet. I've learned to vaccinate, medicate, and doctor for all kinds of bizarre chicken ailments. I've wiped hundreds of pasty butts. I've lost my entire flock to predators twice. I've built and rebuilt coops and pens and feeders and brooders and automatic coop doors and ....pretty much everything else chicken-related. I've bred for specific breeds, egg production, and even just to add more color to my flock. I've been a breed snob and I've been happy with a yard full of mutts. Through all of this, I've asked some of the dumbest questions imaginable here in the forums. Didn't stop people from helping me out though.

These days, because I am embarking on a new breeding program, I only buy breed-stock from reputable breeders that can demonstrate that their birds have the qualities I want to duplicate or build upon. I selected two breeds to work on...not because I think they are going to make a lot of money, but because I am truly interested in one as a hobby learning project and the other because it's such a great breed in general. Though I have several rare breeds, the two I am working on are neither rare nor specialty breeds. Heck, neither are even recognized breeds that I'm aware of. I have over 100 birds in my barn right now and only 18 have the potential to be in the breeding program.Only one of the eighteen is confirmed for the program. I still have a ways to go before I can really tell if any of the others will make it. I can't give you hard math on this, but I can tell you that it's a lot of money in feed costs waiting for birds to develop enough to see their potential. This is the kind of thing you have to look forward to if you are truly concerned about quality. I wouldn't do this if I didn't already have a customer base for table eggs. It's the only way I can rationalize having this many birds. Culls are still good for egg production. More importantly, and the main point I've been leading up to is this: I also wouldn't attempt this project without having the BYC folks there to help nudge me in the right direction.

This community is overloaded with people willing to help...and even more willing to be friendly and chat. Even the most knowledgeable in the bunch come here to learn from others. But just like any other community...don't be surprised if you see them circle the wagons when someone comes in aggressive.

My advice? You've already narrowed your possible breeds down to a short list. Narrow it some more based on those you find interesting or otherwise useful to you. Learn everything you can about those few breeds and then come here and ask the questions you can't find answers to about those breeds. Others that know about them will do their best to help you and will likely be happy to share with you the experiences they've had in cost vs. profit associated with raising that breed. You've already learned that the dollar signs you were imagining aren't likely to happen, and that no matter how many times you ask or how much you feel you are entitled to an answer, that particular line of questioning results only in frustration for everyone.

I might also suggest that a different approach might work for you. Have you considered chicken-related products rather than live animals? If you have building skills, coops and tractors sell quite well, especially now that it's so hip to keep chickens in urban backyards. Automatic feeders and waterers might also be good products to produce. Nest boxes, brooders, even 'play yards' sell. IMO, catering to the urban market has a fair bit of potential for profits.

Either way, if you have a genuine interest in chickens (rather than profits) and can lose the holier-than-thou approach, you'll get much farther in your quest for information.

Oh, oh, oh , post 85 is so righteous!! please, please can we make it a stickie!! please moderators ! please make this is a stickie ,this is just so right on!!
1f44f.png

Yes, I flagged post 85 just to let the moderators know I thought it oughta be a stickie!
Karen

Last edited:
Oh, oh, oh , post 85 is so righteous!! please, please can we make it a stickie!! please moderators ! please make this is a stickie ,this is just so right on!!
1f44f.png

Yes, I flagged post 85 just to let the moderators know I thought it oughta be a stickie!
Karen
Well thanks 3rivers. I was just feeling so frustrated with OP after reading through the entire thread. Sometimes I find it hard to keep my mouth shut.
duc.gif

Back
Top Bottom