Which Australorp for 4-H Fair

Catharinejo

Chirping
Jun 28, 2019
NE Kansas, USA
Let me preface this by saying these are not breeder quality birds- we are still learning and didn’t know any better when we started! My 9 year old has his 4-H poultry show coming up in 10 days. We have 2 australorps that could go but both have issues and we don’t know which one is a bigger deal. The one with better feathers has a weird split on her comb. Her eyes are also not as dark The one with a better comb hasn’t grown back all of the cushion feathers that were missing from the rooster before I made chicken saddles. It probably doesn’t matter too much either way because this is just for a small county fair that is very laid back and not super competitive with poultry but I thought we’d ask in case anyone wanted to weigh in! The 18 month old hens keep trying to go broody and plucking out their feathers so our options are a bit limited this year!
EA8B21B0-9965-4D0D-9C21-8CB59A3BC535.jpeg

F5B355C7-3585-4466-BB34-8D32159701E4.jpeg

Personally I'd go for the first one, if the others feathers haven't grown back by that time.
They're both beautiful birds.
I actually think it's pretty cool to have a bird with an interesting comb like that.

I would also go for the first one because of the feather condition of the other one.
It's nice to see new people showing at fairs! I wish you success!

Back
Top Bottom