Which bantam breed is best to get started with?

Takeylla

Songster
5 Years
Oct 8, 2018
USA, South Carolina
So I’d like to get some bantam breeds this year, but I have a few questions first. So I could choose the right breed/breeds. BUT FIRST, here is my list of breeds (with color choices on some)
Easter Egger, Cochin, Sebright, Vorwerk, Polish, Frizzle & Sizzle, Japanese (white black tipped), Phoenix (bb red, silver duckwing, golden duckwing, golden, silver), Silkie, Old English Game Bantam (same colors as Phoenix, just add self-blue to these), and Belgian d'Uccle ( Mille Fleur, Porcelain, Golden Neck, and Mottled) for the bantam Chicken breeds.
Now questions:

1)Which one would you recommend?

2)Which one is easier to get then others?

3)Which is the most friendly (both genders)?

4)Which roo is less likely to crow as much, I get that they’re a roo and they’re gonna crow but which of these breeds ain’t gonna be as noisy as the other?

5)Which breed will be easier to care for?

6)Which breed doesn’t need a lot of run space compared to the others?

7)Is any breed easier to get NPIP approved then the other, or is it all the same?

8)Which would do good in a neighborhood/residential area?

9)Which is your favorite :) ?

10)Do you own any of these breeds?

And those who could help and answer thank you very much, I appreciate it. :)

Mostly, you need to look them over and pick what suits you and your situation. My choice is not on your list.

"Takeylla, post: 22162459, member: 526440"]
So I’d like to get some bantam breeds this year, but I have a few questions first. So I could choose the right breed/breeds. BUT FIRST, here is my list of breeds (with color choices on some)
Easter Egger, Cochin, Sebright, Vorwerk, Polish, Frizzle & Sizzle, Japanese (white black tipped), Phoenix (bb red, silver duckwing, golden duckwing, golden, silver), Silkie, Old English Game Bantam (same colors as Phoenix, just add self-blue to these), and Belgian d'Uccle ( Mille Fleur, Porcelain, Golden Neck, and Mottled) for the bantam Chicken breeds.
Now questions:

1)Which one would you recommend? Serama

2)Which one is easier to get then others? Serama, but it depeds on where you live.

3)Which is the most friendly (both genders)? Serama. Easy to handle and easy to tame. Pablo, my rooster loves o have his neck and face rubbed turning his head so every place gets rubbed.

4)Which roo is less likely to crow as much, I get that they’re a roo and they’re gonna crow but which of these breeds ain’t gonna be as noisy as the other? Serama. While some are loud, many are not having a crow much softer than other breeds. Pablo would never make a good alarm clock.

5)Which breed will be easier to care for? Serama. This tiny breed eats far less than many other breeds.

6)Which breed doesn’t need a lot of run space compared to the others? Serama.

7)Is any breed easier to get NPIP approved then the other, or is it all the same? ??????

8)Which would do good in a neighborhood/residential area? Serama. I used to live in town with close neighbors. No one ever complained.

10)Do you own any of these breeds? I've owned most of the breeds on your list at one time or another. My favorite--SERAMA.

And those who could help and answer thank you very much, I
appreciate it. :)

View attachment 2015324View attachment 2015327View attachment 2015328View attachment 2015329
I'm picking up subtle vibes that you might be a bit biased for seramas? :D

Personal preference:
I would avoid feathered feet, because they get dirty easily (Cockin, Silkie, d'Uccle)
I would avoid silkie or frizzle feathers, because they need more protection from wind/rain/cold.
I would avoid crests, because they can block the birds' vision (Polish, Silkie).
I would avoid Sebright because the hen-feathering makes sexing more difficult.
I would hesitate about the Phoenix, because of the long tails--they will not look good if dragged in the mud!

So if it was me, I'd be down to the Easter Eggers, the Vorwerck, and the Old English Games to choose from. Edit: and the Japanese, missed them the first time.

For which is easy to get, probably Easter Eggers are easiest, followed by the Old English Games, Cochins, Silkies, and d'Uccles (some colors more common than others, for all of those breeds).

You could look at online hatcheries to see what's offered--McMurray and Ideal are two of the biggest hatcheries, but many others exist.

I have very little experience with bantams, but I've had Dark Cornish (not on your list) and Easter Eggers. I liked both, but preferred the cornish--they're like a feathered baseball, round and heavy (but being so small, they don't have the joint troubles a big one would have.) None of mine were particularly cuddly, but that is probably in part because of how they were raised--I prefer my chickens on the ground at my feet, not in my lap.

Of course, the chicken breeds I would avoid are favorites of some other people--so take my comments with a grain of salt!

Last edited:
Mostly, you need to look them over and pick what suits you and your situation. My choice is not on your list.

"Takeylla, post: 22162459, member: 526440"]
Now questions:

1)Which one would you recommend? Serama

2)Which one is easier to get then others? Serama, but it depeds on where you live.

3)Which is the most friendly (both genders)? Serama. Easy to handle and easy to tame. Pablo, my rooster loves o have his neck and face rubbed turning his head so every place gets rubbed.

4)Which roo is less likely to crow as much, I get that they’re a roo and they’re gonna crow but which of these breeds ain’t gonna be as noisy as the other? Serama. While some are loud, many are not having a crow much softer than other breeds. Pablo would never make a good alarm clock.

5)Which breed will be easier to care for? Serama. This tiny breed eats far less than many other breeds.

6)Which breed doesn’t need a lot of run space compared to the others? Serama.

7)Is any breed easier to get NPIP approved then the other, or is it all the same? ??????

8)Which would do good in a neighborhood/residential area? Serama. I used to live in town with close neighbors. No one ever complained.

10)Do you own any of these breeds? I've owned most of the breeds on your list at one time or another. My favorite--SERAMA.

And those who could help and answer thank you very much, I
appreciate it. :)

1 beep-beep 1-7-20 6.5 oz.jpg
BLACKFRIZZLE.jpg
my name ....png
sadie and chicks.png

Now, I don't own any bantams, but I do take care of some, I take care of D'uccles, Silkie Bantams and a Dutch Bantam?

1)Which one would you recommend? D'uccles or Dutch Bantams

2)Which one is easier to get then others? D'uccles are easier to find the Dutch, Strombergs has both and McMurrays has D'uccles.

3)Which is the most friendly (both genders)? They are all hens so I couldn't answer.

4)Which roo is less likely to crow as much, I get that they’re a roo and they’re gonna crow but which of these breeds ain’t gonna be as noisy as the other?
I think the roos from either breed are handsome, since they're small, they might not be as loud but I think how often they crow is individual to the rooster.

5)Which breed will be easier to care for? I personally prefer the Clean footed Dutch.

6)Which breed doesn’t need a lot of run space compared to the others? I couldn't say, I think they all need space to scratch around in. Though the dutch can and will fly and climb on things

7)Is any breed easier to get NPIP approved then the other, or is it all the same? No idea.

8)Which would do good in a neighborhood/residential area? Both

9)Which is your favorite :) ? Dutch Bantams are little spitfires, I love them,

10)Do you own any of these breeds? I'm their godmother, does that count?

And those who could help and answer thank you very much, I appreciate it. :)
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Personal preference:
I would avoid feathered feet, because they get dirty easily (Cockin, Silkie, d'Uccle)
I would avoid silkie or frizzle feathers, because they need more protection from wind/rain/cold.
I would avoid crests, because they can block the birds' vision (Polish, Silkie).
I would avoid Sebright because the hen-feathering makes sexing more difficult.
I would hesitate about the Phoenix, because of the long tails--they will not look good if dragged in the mud!

So if it was me, I'd be down to the Easter Eggers, the Vorwerck, and the Old English Games to choose from.

For which is easy to get, probably Easter Eggers are easiest, followed by the Old English Games, Cochins, Silkies, and d'Uccles (some colors more common than others, for all of those breeds).

You could look at online hatcheries to see what's offered--McMurray and Ideal are two of the biggest hatcheries, but many others exist.

I have very little experience with bantams, but I've had Dark Cornish (not on your list) and Easter Eggers. I liked both, but preferred the cornish--they're like a feathered baseball, round and heavy (but being so small, they don't have the joint troubles a big one would have.) None of mine were particularly cuddly, but that is probably in part because of how they were raised--I prefer my chickens on the ground at my feet, not in my lap.

Of course, the chicken breeds I would avoid are favorites of some other people--so take my comments with a grain of salt!
Alrighty, the ones I’m leaning towards as of right now is the Japanese, old English game, Phoenix and d’Uccles, so I’m just trying to see what results in recommendations from others before I jump to chick shopping, I never had Vorwerks or seen them in person so I don’t know much about those but other than that thank you:)

I got a few seramas last year. I have a bachelor flock of 8 cockerels in my back yard. Cuddliest, prettiest, most personable chickens I’ve ever had. How personable a chicken is has a lot to do with how you raise and treat them.

Back
Top Bottom