Which bedding should I use for the run?

I've seen a hawk fly by before while my chickens were out in the garden. They only come out if I let them out but then they go back itno there run. Well a volchure flew by 3 times and the 3rd time I could literly touch it and I raced them all back into the run. I was this close to grabbing a rake and snacking that thing out of the sky. Ain't no one touching my babies lol

I agree no Chicken Hawk is gonna get my fluffy babies ethir. He just sits in his tree staring at the chicken coop.........

I agree no Chicken Hawk is gonna get my fluffy babies ethir. He just sits in his tree staring at the chicken coop.........
mine just appear out of nowhere. I have a rooster so he knows to keep his eye out and when he does scream that there's something there they all either run back in because I keep the door open for these reasons. or they run underneath the coop which is a pain trying to get them out. at least there safe

to keep their feet warm
Don't think about keeping their feet 'warm'.

@aart Aren't you the one with the nice mulch run???
Me and more than several others....a few who have shown and explained already.
My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.

I would recommend these leaves. Their for frogs but you can also use it for your coop and run.
Leaves: https://www.amazon.com/SunGrow-Micr...=1&keywords=dry+leaves&qid=1610034235&sr=8-21
Expensive.....for a chicken run!!

ik its expensive but its actually really good. And if you live somewhere like I do I almost never have dry leaves so...

Isn't New England full of dried leaves every fall?

Even if I didn't have my own leaves, my neighbors put out dozens of bags each fall and I bet if I said I'd bag it myself, they'd be thrilled. I know some folks on here do a neighborhood pick up of bagged leaves. Saves money for the homeowners (who need to pay for it to be removed) and free bedding for the chicken owner.

Isn't New England full of dried leaves every fall?

Even if I didn't have my own leaves, my neighbors put out dozens of bags each fall and I bet if I said I'd bag it myself, they'd be thrilled. I know some folks on here do a neighborhood pick up of bagged leaves. Saves money for the homeowners (who need to pay for it to be removed) and free bedding for the chicken owner.
Well I live on an Island so it rains a lot and so the leaves are almost always wet, and I also live near a woods.

Don't think about keeping their feet 'warm'.

Me and more than several others....a few who have shown and explained already.
My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.

Expensive.....for a chicken run!!
I love those 2 photos you post. ;)

Back
Top Bottom