Which bedding should I use for the run?

Annalyse

Crowing
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
Just today I found out that the hay I've been using in the run to keep their feet warm has gotten fuzzy (moldy, well starting too) underneath in some places, well the place I first saw. So now this weekend I'm taking all of that out and cleaning up in there. What kind of bedding should I use. Straw, flakes, etc? I'm only going to put it in some places now and not the entire thing. The hay was put in, in fall, and has been through wet, dry, cold, warm. it got wet from the waters (we have a roof). I need something that'll keep their feet warm instead of stepping out onto the cold dirt. Any ideas?

Thank you,

Wood chips.
2CAA8E144D14_1608062597830.png

Any dry organic material can be used in your run. The trick is to achieve a mix of materials and textures so that it doesn't pack, mat, and develop anaerobic pockets.

Drainage is also critical. If your run has a drainage problem or it's a particularly wet season, coarse wood chips are probably the best base to build around. :)

I haven't seen any eagles, but there is a chicken hawk around. About a week ago I decided to let my chickens out to get some grass, I put up a 3 sided dog pen with no top on it so they could get more sun and they had more room but were not free range. I went in to get a snack, I heard a squabbling noise outside there was a chicken hawk inside the extra add on run! I grabbed a long stick and threw it at the chicken hawk. When it saw me, it flew away. Even today he still lingers by in a nearby tree in my backyard. That is why my chickens run is in closed.
I've seen a hawk fly by before while my chickens were out in the garden. They only come out if I let them out but then they go back itno there run. Well a volchure flew by 3 times and the 3rd time I could literly touch it and I raced them all back into the run. I was this close to grabbing a rake and snacking that thing out of the sky. Ain't no one touching my babies lol

to keep their feet warm
Don't think about keeping their feet 'warm'.

@aart Aren't you the one with the nice mulch run???
Me and more than several others....a few who have shown and explained already.
My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.

I would recommend these leaves. Their for frogs but you can also use it for your coop and run.
Leaves: https://www.amazon.com/SunGrow-Micr...=1&keywords=dry+leaves&qid=1610034235&sr=8-21
Expensive.....for a chicken run!!

You can use leaves, compost, woodchips, or even pine straw! You can put worms, treats, or scratch grains in the bedding and your feathered friends will be walking all over the run searching and scratching for the yummy goodies! My Buff Orpington Daisy ( also called Goldie because of golden feathers ) Loves to search for treats!

Any dry organic material can be used in your run. The trick is to achieve a mix of materials and textures so that it doesn't pack, mat, and develop anaerobic pockets.

Drainage is also critical. If your run has a drainage problem or it's a particularly wet season, coarse wood chips are probably the best base to build around. :)
I dont belive we have any drainage probelm. We have a roof over our run and fixed all the leaks before first snow so we should be good on that. This weekend I'm taking out all the hay and replacing it with whatever I can find rn. I'm think chopped straw or flakes until it becomes warmer and I can take it all out.

Back
Top Bottom