which boy to keep?(silkies)

lindy

Crowing
14 Years
Sep 6, 2009
Oregon
i have two boys and cant decide which one to keep. one is a year old and has been with the flock. the other one is born this spring/summer he is black. the older one is blue.

The negatives on each,
The blue doesnt have feathering on his third toe
The black has some red tinge to his hackles and is missing a toenail, but has tons of feathering.
40711_chick-geko_002.jpg

40711_chick-geko_004.jpg

40711_chick-geko_007.jpg

40711_blk_roo_009.jpg

40711_blk_roo_013.jpg

The black boy is really black just has some red tinge like i said, he also has a different look then the older one.
please let me know which one looks better. The older guy has had chicks, They do not have a lot of feathering on there third toe, but i do have one pullet that has lack of feathering on that toe also.

Quote:
I prefer the first boy. His type is pretty good although his cushion isn't the best. You may have to cull heavy on the offspring with the golden hackles.

thanks i was really surprised.I was not sure if the first one was better looking, He is totally different looking then the older guy. The older guy is going to molt to keep things fair.
so is the no toe nail really easy to breed out? The other black i have from the same breeder is a pullet, she has no red, all the roos i got out of the batch had some or alot of red tinge once they started crowing.
40711_chick-geko_006.jpg
here is another roo from the same batch as the first black, he is a bit older but they both look different so they probably had different parents?.This guy is going to the butcher shop as soon as i can find one.
I am trying to get down to one roo. of course i have chicks so we will see how many boys i will get
thanks all for taking the time to answer

Last edited:
Quote:
That black boy's nail isn't that big of an issue. It could have ripped off or something.... As long as it has a toe, I would breed it.

i did nt know they are supposed to have an S shape, thats neat, he is really a nice boy so far.

Back
Top Bottom