Which breed chicks to add colour to egg basket? Olive Egger vs Cream Legbar or Other?

silentnanny

Chirping
Jul 28, 2021
Hello! I have a bit of an obsession...
Limited coop room and want to optimize egg colours for the amount of hens I can have. I can add a couple more chicks, any suggestions which breeds?
The two last ones I don't yet know if they are hens or roos...

Currently have chicks:
- sapphire olive egger (green pastel?)
- easter egger (?pastel?)
- black copper maran (dark brown)
- silkie (SR) (cream)
- bantam cochin (SR) (cream)

I'd like a blue layer either Ameraucana and/or Cream Legbar - but what should my last egg layer colour be? Olive Egger? Salmon Faverolle? Other??

Thanks so much!

Your olive egger should lay a greenish-brown egg, not pastel, kind of a darker green.

The EE could lay anything from blueish to green to light brown to punkish brown.

I don't know about the Cochin or the silkie. It seems to me you need a nice brown egg layer. A RIR, a Dominique or a Barred Rock would suppy that.

Be careful buying anything calling itself Americana, Ameracana, anything spelled other than how you spelled it - it will just be another Easter Egger, with no guarantees of a true blue egg. Hoover's has Prairie Bluebell Eggers that are supposed to lay pretty blue eggs, but they don't sell them by the "each," they have minimums.

This is made with: CCL, Marans, Easter Egger, Barnevelder, Olive Egger, Orpingtons. I don't have white egg layer (yet :))
IMG_E1650.JPG

Your olive egger should lay a greenish-brown egg, not pastel, kind of a darker green.

The EE could lay anything from blueish to green to light brown to punkish brown.

I don't know about the Cochin or the silkie. It seems to me you need a nice brown egg layer. A RIR, a Dominique or a Barred Rock would suppy that.

Be careful buying anything calling itself Americana, Ameracana, anything spelled other than how you spelled it - it will just be another Easter Egger, with no guarantees of a true blue egg. Hoover's has Prairie Bluebell Eggers that are supposed to lay pretty blue eggs, but they don't sell them by the "each," they have minimums.
Thank you so much for reading and taking the time to reply!!!!!

I thought the sapphire olive egger might be a bit more pastel/lighter compare to an 'olive' egger. Thanks!

I think I got so wrapped up in the 'colour' searching that I completely forgot about the standard browns too! Thanks so much- haha!!

And yes, I had read what you said about 'ameraucanas' being mislabeled. The place I found selling them is local and supposedly they're true.

Thank you again!!! I really appreciate it! <3

Here's what google says:

Sapphire Olive Eggers start to lay beautiful olive eggs at the young age of five months old. Once they start, they will lay three to four eggs a week – over 200 per year! Despite their name, Olive Eggers don't always lay green eggs. In some cases, they can lay dark brown, blue, or even pink eggs.Feb 18, 2023

https://thenatureofhome.com › sap...

Sapphire Olive Eggers: Friendly Chicken That Lays Green Eggs

Thank you so much for reading and taking the time to reply!!!!!

I thought the sapphire olive egger might be a bit more pastel/lighter compare to an 'olive' egger. Thanks!

I think I got so wrapped up in the 'colour' searching that I completely forgot about the standard browns too! Thanks so much- haha!!

And yes, I had read what you said about 'ameraucanas' being mislabeled. The place I found selling them is local and supposedly they're true.

Thank you again!!! I really appreciate it! <3
Real Ameracauna will Have gray legs, pea combs and come in very specific colors.

Welsummers lay beautiful brown speckled eggs, so they may add some variety to your egg basket.

98E93594-64E8-46F5-8DE1-9731E339FCCF.jpeg D17858FB-BCF6-4579-B415-D5BC8F7C9726.jpeg

My Welsummer’s is the darkest brown, the other brown eggs are from Cuckoo Marans, and the little cream/beige egg is from my Dominique.

This is made with: CCL, Marans, Easter Egger, Barnevelder, Olive Egger, Orpingtons. I don't have white egg layer (yet :))
View attachment 3803196
You may consider to add a silver grey dorking for white eggs. Mine is a big cuddler with very unique round body and short legs and a soft cuckoo voice which make her so different from other chickens. She only lays about 4 eggs per week, but she is a constant layer and will not stop in winter except when she is molting or broody.

You may consider to add a silver grey dorking for white eggs. Mine is a big cuddler with very unique round body and short legs and a soft cuckoo voice which make her so different from other chickens. She only lays about 4 eggs per week, but she is a constant layer and will not stop in winter except when she is molting or broody.
Thanks, Tilly, I looked these up, they're very attractive. Darn that chicken math! Maybe next year ...

Back
Top Bottom