Which breed has been your most gentle?

SeaSea47

Songster
7 Years
Mar 12, 2017
I started a new flock and decided to get a variety of breeds this summer. The only ones I'd had before were barred rocks, and previously, they'd been my gentlest birds, but this time, they're actually my most aggressive. The rest are all new breeds for me. I've got four Cochins in the group (3 hens and 1 rooster), and they are pretty sweet and rarely challenge or peck anyone else. They've become my favorites.

But what has really surprised me is my Austrolorps. I probably pay the least attention to them because they're the only little group that I can't tell them apart (I call them"the buzzards" 😂 ). I sat and watched the whole flock today for a long time, and I realized these ladies are very kind to the other chickens. I've got a little Hamburg rooster who is at the bottom of the whole pecking order right now, and I've got a Polish who was bullied and had to be doctored up (she's doing a lot better and back with the flock but still a little skittish). I've noticed the Austrolorps never bother those two, even when they bother them, and even protect them at times.

I know every chicken is different, but these are breeds I'll probably stick with in the future. Just wondering if anyone else has a breed that they've found to be surprisingly gentle? Or which breed do you think is the most gentle with you and your other chickens?

Cochins are teddy bears but don’t lay as many eggs as some other breeds. Can’t have them now that I live in a hot climate. My Orpingtons are love bugs and great layers. They don’t care about the pecking order and seem to befriend the lower girls. My Welsumer and BR are also great layers and lap chickens but can be a little bossy to the other girls.

Our Easter Eggers and Olive Eggers for sure are the most friendly. We hatched and raised them though and that does make a huge difference.

One of our OE went broody and we let her raise a couple of chicks and they do come to me but only if their Mama does first. We also had a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte broody raise a chick and since the BLRW was never friendly (not hand raised) her chick is super skittish. I can't even get close enough to photo.

I hate to say it because these are our heartiest and healthiest birds...but our Black Copper Marans are the meanest. The matriarch BCM won't accept a rooster (she actually crows herself) and we have to keep an eye on her because she can be a bully, and her children and grand children are following in her feathered footsteps 😥

I started a new flock and decided to get a variety of breeds this summer. The only ones I'd had before were barred rocks, and previously, they'd been my gentlest birds, but this time, they're actually my most aggressive. The rest are all new breeds for me. I've got four Cochins in the group (3 hens and 1 rooster), and they are pretty sweet and rarely challenge or peck anyone else. They've become my favorites.

But what has really surprised me is my Austrolorps. I probably pay the least attention to them because they're the only little group that I can't tell them apart (I call them"the buzzards" 😂 ). I sat and watched the whole flock today for a long time, and I realized these ladies are very kind to the other chickens. I've got a little Hamburg rooster who is at the bottom of the whole pecking order right now, and I've got a Polish who was bullied and had to be doctored up (she's doing a lot better and back with the flock but still a little skittish). I've noticed the Austrolorps never bother those two, even when they bother them, and even protect them at times.

I know every chicken is different, but these are breeds I'll probably stick with in the future. Just wondering if anyone else has a breed that they've found to be surprisingly gentle? Or which breed do you think is the most gentle with you and your other chickens?
My Silkies and Columbian Wyandottes for sure.

Probably my polish, sebrights and my calico Princess. All females. My silkies are some of the flightiest, human hating birds I have in this group

I had a male (either a gold neck OEGB or a bad quality sebright) that was a sweetheart once you managed to catch him. Before hand, he wouldn't let you near him

I would say that aside from my Buff Orps, I have one Rhode Island Red hen that literally will stop what she is doing if you come anywhere near her and let's you pick her up. She was our first of 6 chicks we got when we lived in the city, so my family loved on all of them. She is definitely really docile and sweet, even though she is dual purpose breed. My Barred Rocks are sweet too, and so are my EE's.

But hands down, my Silkies are by far my sweetest. Even if you didn't pay them much attention when they were little, they will still be super sweet and not skittish like other chickens might've been 🥰🐥

Back
Top Bottom