Which breed has the best temperament?

Tabitha,

If you want a chicken to snuggle with that never hardly ever pecks or flies or runs away from you get silkies but don't put them with a different breed of chicken.

Please know that they need to be kept in a clean environment because they can get things stuck in their feathers very easily.

Quote:
Most of the hybreds are fine, since I think temperment is part of what they breed for.

I still prefer as much of the pure-breeds as I can manage though. I'm probably a bit of a hypocrite here, cause I welcome my various crosses into my home flock when my girls raise some clutches... I let my hens go broody and don't have enough pure-bread groups or trio's etc to ONLY raise pure breeds. Still, I do what I can.

You gotta do what works for you though!! If the Cinnamon Queens are it, I say "GO for it!"

When it comes to chicken temperaments per breed, I've found this page more convenient than anything else on the web. Over 60 breeds are listed on one page so you can quickly compare info. I don't know how much is accurate, but every time I've done more research into a chicken's personality, what they list on this page checks out.

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Last edited:
we are raising barred rocks, buff orpington, ameraucanas, sl wyandotte and buff brahma together...of these the barred rocks are friendliest. they're "busy bodies" and like to know what's going on, and are usually the first to hop in your lap. of the rest of our gang, the ameraucanas are sweet and friendly. the buff orpington was the alpha chick until about 12 weeks, and now she's not quite so outgoing in the last few weeks. the wyandotte and brahma are the most shy but will settle down and be handled after a little initial protesting. we love 'em all!

Back
Top Bottom