which breed is better?

leroy25780

In the Brooder
Oct 5, 2017
Hallo i would like to know if people can tell me wether a chinese or african or a roman tuffed goose makes a better guard goose for the chickens and ducks than the rest.

Either the chinese or african will be more aggressive to changes in their environment than will a roman tuffed goose.

But there really is no such thing as a "guard goose" in the same way the term is used for "guard dog". Geese like things to stay the same and will "allert" you (bitch about) any change, stranger, flying predator that comes into view. The will not typically "guard" anyone or anything other than their mate or gaggle.

That said, I once tripped and fell out in our field and my partner was coming to help me up and all 11 of my Toulouse geese came to position themselves between me and him flapping and honking at him to stay away.

Either the chinese or african will be more aggressive to changes in their environment than will a roman tuffed goose.

But there really is no such thing as a "guard goose" in the same way the term is used for "guard dog". Geese like things to stay the same and will "allert" you (bitch about) any change, stranger, flying predator that comes into view. The will not typically "guard" anyone or anything other than their mate or gaggle.

That said, I once tripped and fell out in our field and my partner was coming to help me up and all 11 of my Toulouse geese came to position themselves between me and him flapping and honking at him to stay away.
the reason is that i plan to raise a gosling with my chickens and when he imprints on them he wil chase away arial predators and alert me to noise

Also agree that Chinese are the loudest of all breeds, and the tone is also higher and more piercing.

However, geese rarely alert to aerial predators. They get very quiet and tilt their heads to watch the sky carefully. If threat gets too close, they run for cover. For ground predators in the night, they also get quiet and slowly gravitate towards a light source (safety).

What my geese love to alert me to are people coming into their space, whether it is a stranger or my husband. They also love cheering on fights amongst themselves, and generally chat all the time to each other, unless taking a nap. When hanging out inside our home, it is often the lack of noise that triggers our concern that something may be wrong outside.

Back
Top Bottom