Which breed of Rooster has the best temperment?

I only have experience with one rooster, my RIR named Brewster. I think because we handled and interacted with him since he was a day old chick, does he behave the way he does. I can reach down and pick him up, cradle him in my arm, stroke his comb, talk to him, etc and he just sits there nice and calm.

Either that or he's plotting to kill me and just waiting for the right moment to strike!

Last edited:
I have an "egyptian houdan" rooster who is very sweet and his eyes are SO soft. Then I have a Easter Egg rooster who is o.k, he is pretty rough on my girls though. I think he has decided that he wants to be dominant over me too but I won't let that happen. I also have a buff-laced polish rooster who is VERY sweet, but he gets scared easily because he can't see. Out of all of them I would say the order is like this 1.egytptian houdan 2.buff-laced polish 3.EE. But like others have said there are bads in every group, I just got lucky.

My Silkie roo is nice--I've had him since he was a chick, and handled him constantly. He's all grown up and doesn't like being picked up any more, but he leaves us alone when we're outside, and lets us handle the hens.

this is fathead lol white leghorn is my pick never had anytrouble from them.
100_1429.jpg

Last edited:
well I have only had two roosters since getting my chickens - one was a rather large white something or other ( got him at the feed store as a baby ) had to rehome him when he started to crow -he got very mean and nasty. I now have a little banty roo that I love - he is a Black Dutch bantam - and very full of personality and is very easy to handle , never aggressive towards people ( just little sparrows and the stray dogs and cats that bother his girls ). I dont think I will have any babies since he is ALOT smaller than my hens, but I love him and he is my handsome little guy.

Julie

My best ones are my Barred Rock boy, Hawkeye, the main flock rooster and Suede, my huge Blue Orpington tank. Both are very sweet boys and easy to handle, especially Hawkeye. My Ameraucana is usually very sweet to me, but he's a bit more on the hyper side and bit my DH the other day. Not a good move on his part.
sad.png
I can pick him up and love on him and he's fine with it, even likes it.
Every Barred Rock boy I've ever raised has been as good as gold, very sweet and calm.

I've had RIR that was vicious and would attack everything and anything. A Buff Orpington who is the sweetest and literally runs up to me when he sees me.. extremely friendly and always open to treats. My all time favorite though would be the Barred Plymouth Rock roosters. I've had 2 and they never attacked kids or people. If our dogs got rowdy around the hens he would give them one good whoop and that was it and it was not daily.. only when the dogs deserved it (even in my eyes ha). Both BPR roos would watch the sky and surroundings and both passed from predator attacks, but every hen was safe and accounted for both times. Plymouth Rocks have my vote for best rooster with families and protective of the hens from predators. The two I had also were very large in size also coming above my knees ..I'm 5'3". Both BPRS were owned at different times and not from the same group of chicks/gene pool. My BPRS never got more aggressive as they aged btw.

Last edited:
Rooster aggression varies from bird to bird and from breed to breed. I have had the best luck with a cochin bantam. My rooster, Piccolino, is a wonderful bird and is not aggressive. I have had him for over three years and have had no problems. He is gentle with the hens (both standard size and bantam) and is great with dogs and people. He is very quiet which is rare among roosters and when he does crow its not very loud. Roosters don't have to get meaner as they age but they often do because of the way their caretakers resond to them. When a rooster first shows signs of aggression do not run; stand your ground and prove to him that you are the alpha roo. Making yourself appear larger and strong help (sticking your arms out works). Often people run and become afraid of an aggressive rooster and the rooster then behaves accordingly. By best advise is to obtain a rooster when he is as young and handle him often and hand feed him treats. He will then associate you and other humans as friends and not threats to his flock. I recommend the smaller breeds because even if they become aggressive it will be unlikely that an injury would result. Standard size dual purpose breeds are usually laid back. I reccommend cochins, plymouth rocks, RIRs, and Americaunas. These breeds also have bantam varieties
I have to add that Silkie roosters are terrors. I chicken sat for my daughter while they were away on vacation, and her Silkie roosters attacked me every time I would enter the pen. Even though they are small, they can get very ferocious. I carried a broom when I went into the pen from then on.

Back
Top Bottom