Which breed of Rooster has the best temperment?

Hotwings

Songster
12 Years
Jan 27, 2007
southwestern Michigan
I am looking for some help in trying to find the rooster with the best temperment and docile behavior around people. From what I have been reading does such a rooster exist? Does a rooster get meaner as he gets older?
Thank you Mary

Rooster aggression varies from bird to bird and from breed to breed. I have had the best luck with a cochin bantam. My rooster, Piccolino, is a wonderful bird and is not aggressive. I have had him for over three years and have had no problems. He is gentle with the hens (both standard size and bantam) and is great with dogs and people. He is very quiet which is rare among roosters and when he does crow its not very loud. Roosters don't have to get meaner as they age but they often do because of the way their caretakers resond to them. When a rooster first shows signs of aggression do not run; stand your ground and prove to him that you are the alpha roo. Making yourself appear larger and strong help (sticking your arms out works). Often people run and become afraid of an aggressive rooster and the rooster then behaves accordingly. By best advise is to obtain a rooster when he is as young and handle him often and hand feed him treats. He will then associate you and other humans as friends and not threats to his flock. I recommend the smaller breeds because even if they become aggressive it will be unlikely that an injury would result. Standard size dual purpose breeds are usually laid back. I reccommend cochins, plymouth rocks, RIRs, and Americaunas. These breeds also have bantam varieties
I have to add that Silkie roosters are terrors. I chicken sat for my daughter while they were away on vacation, and her Silkie roosters attacked me every time I would enter the pen. Even though they are small, they can get very ferocious. I carried a broom when I went into the pen from then on.

This is a tough one. There are good and bad apples of all breeds. In general I found that my heavy bird breeds have the most docile roosters but there are exceptions. I had a RIR rooster at one time who would let me walk right up and pick him off the floor.. then I just had the meanest RIR roo who just had to go. I hear orpingtons are nice chickens over all. I have a cochinxwandotte and he is very nice but doesn't let me pick him up. Some have had luck with EE roos but every one of that type of Bird I got were mean suckers. Good luck with your hunt.

Rooster aggression varies from bird to bird and from breed to breed. I have had the best luck with a cochin bantam. My rooster, Piccolino, is a wonderful bird and is not aggressive. I have had him for over three years and have had no problems. He is gentle with the hens (both standard size and bantam) and is great with dogs and people. He is very quiet which is rare among roosters and when he does crow its not very loud. Roosters don't have to get meaner as they age but they often do because of the way their caretakers resond to them. When a rooster first shows signs of aggression do not run; stand your ground and prove to him that you are the alpha roo. Making yourself appear larger and strong help (sticking your arms out works). Often people run and become afraid of an aggressive rooster and the rooster then behaves accordingly. By best advise is to obtain a rooster when he is as young and handle him often and hand feed him treats. He will then associate you and other humans as friends and not threats to his flock. I recommend the smaller breeds because even if they become aggressive it will be unlikely that an injury would result. Standard size dual purpose breeds are usually laid back. I reccommend cochins, plymouth rocks, RIRs, and Americaunas. These breeds also have bantam varieties

I have an Old English Game Bird rooster (a grey). I got him as an adult bird. What I did was ask the seller for the nicest rooster he had because I have 5 kids. He led me to the grey. I have to say, it would not have been my first choice out of all the birds he had, BUT, I trusted the seller who had obviously had poultry for a long time.

The OEGB got the majestic name of Winchester and is about the nicest one ever. My kids can go right in and pick him up with very little fuss. And they like to carry him around like a pet. In any case, getting a rooster from an experienced seller, and letting him guide us in our choice, has worked out beautifully. I like the concept of buying a grown rooster, as you know what you will be getting-no surprises!

I agree, I think every breed has good and bad "apples", and that the treatment of the bird goes a long way in developing the character outcome of a bird.

My buff orpington roosters are wonderful - great personalities, temperament, docile and take care of their girls. I would only recommend them with large breed hens though, as they are quite large. Mine stand about up to my knees and love to greet you for treats for their ladies. Very sweet...
love.gif

Jody

Back
Top Bottom