My rooster seems to be really aggressive towards my family

technoagrarian

Chirping
Oct 21, 2020
I've been having an issue with a heritage breed Rhode Island red rooster which seems to be getting more aggressive towards people including me which he didn't used to be aggressive towards. Does anyone know any methods to communicate to the rooster to leave my family alone or should I just find a less aggressive breed?

I'm going to guess that this little dude is around six months old. This is the age where some cockerels come into their adult hormones, and these hormones make the world appear much different to the little dude than when he was a chick. Now, he sees the hens as all his, and you and your family as competition for the hens. His breed genetics add heft to this new attitude. I had a friend, who when she was a young farm wife, shot her RIR rooster out her kitchen window because she was fed up with his terrorism.

Yes, in the future, if you wish to increase the chances that you will have a gentleman rooster, it's best to select a more docile breed. Meanwhile, here's an article I threw together that provides some tips to try to deal with your little terrorist. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/i-think-i-have-a-cockerel-now-what-do-i-do.76274/

I'm going to guess that this little dude is around six months old. This is the age where some cockerels come into their adult hormones, and these hormones make the world appear much different to the little dude than when he was a chick. Now, he sees the hens as all his, and you and your family as competition for the hens. His breed genetics add heft to this new attitude. I had a friend, who when she was a young farm wife, shot her RIR rooster out her kitchen window because she was fed up with his terrorism.

Yes, in the future, if you wish to increase the chances that you will have a gentleman rooster, it's best to select a more docile breed. Meanwhile, here's an article I threw together that provides some tips to try to deal with your little terrorist. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/i-think-i-have-a-cockerel-now-what-do-i-do.76274/
In the event I am unable to tame him and have to make chicken soup do you know other breeds that are good layers yet are better with people?

Be aware that bad roos can show up in any breed, just as can humans. But any breeded noted for their docility would be a better bet than known aggressive breeds such as you have. I have a Cream Legbar and Legbar/EE mix that have never shown the slightest sign of human aggression. I'm also had Brahma roosters that were docile. I had a Wyandotte roo that was a hellion, though.

Be aware that bad roos can show up in any breed, just as can humans. But any breeded noted for their docility would be a better bet than known aggressive breeds such as you have. I have a Cream Legbar and Legbar/EE mix that have never shown the slightest sign of human aggression. I'm also had Brahma roosters that were docile. I had a Wyandotte roo that was a hellion, though.
Do you know if the black Australorp or the Dominique is a good laying breed that is docile?

If you're wanting another male, it would be best to try and find one that's at least a year old, so that his behavior is known. Then breed won't really matter.
I don't quite recommend getting a young male, with their hormones and such most of them aren't the nicest at that age.

If you're wanting another male, it would be best to try and find one that's at least a year old, so that his behavior is known. Then breed won't really matter.
I don't quite recommend getting a young male, with their hormones and such most of them aren't the nicest at that age.
Do you think that mine may calm down at a year old?

Do you know if the black Australorp or the Dominique is a good laying breed that is docile?
Those are breeds likely to produce cordial roos. But there can always be an exception. A good part of rooster behavior is how you yourself behave around the rooster or cockerel. Anyone wanting to keep a rooster who has children needs to educate themselves on how to handle a cockerel properly to avoid mistakes that can lead to bad behavior.

For example, with one of my cockerels, a Buff Brahma, I was guilty of being in a hurry, making abrupt movements near him. This caused him to feel threatened and not to trust me. So he would bite me. Very painful bites. After I corrected my behavior, the rooster settled down and became very well behaved.

Back
Top Bottom