Which Breed Shall I Hatch?

Pics
Do NOT get wyandottes if you want chickens that don't hate you and will let you pick them up. I spent a lot of time with mine both as chicks and adults only to get ignored and hated by them :barnie

If this isn't THE TRUTH! 🤣😭 I always wanted wyandottes. They were on my dream list of breeds. I finally got some and man do they hate me 89% of the time. I always heard they were docile, yet sweet. HA. The two from my first batch that included wyandottes are the biggest bullies in the flock. They're incredibly skittish, flighty and mean. I spent a ton of time with them as chicks and adults, does not make a difference. I thought maybe it was just that bunch, since the other two chickens from that bunch were also like that, though they were different breeds. Nope. A few months ago I got a SLW in a group of 8 various chicks. She is a nightmare lol. She's so mean and also terrified of everything and every one. She beats up and attacks her group all day and night. Even the ones that are nearly twice her size are terrified of her.

I may try one last time...lol I am a glutton for punishment. I want to add some golden laced and may another blue laced. Idk. There are much nicer breeds out there I should probably go for.

They are docile to other chickens just not to humans.
I have the opposite experience. Mine are docile towards me (though they aren't particularly fond of me lol) and raging bullies to every chicken in the flock, even each other. Though they do only hang out together. They refuse to hang out with the other breeds, except for the Blue ameraucauna (I'm sure I spelled that wrong) that can just almost blend in with them.

Yes that’s true
I have the opposite experience. Mine are docile towards me (though they aren't particularly fond of me lol) and raging bullies to every chicken in the flock, even each other. Though they do only hang out together. They refuse to hang out with the other breeds, except for the Blue ameraucauna (I'm sure I spelled that wrong) that can just almost blend in with them.
Oh no! It's so crazy how personalities vary from chicken to chicken!

If this isn't THE TRUTH! 🤣😭 I always wanted wyandottes. They were on my dream list of breeds. I finally got some and man do they hate me 89% of the time. I always heard they were docile, yet sweet. HA. The two from my first batch that included wyandottes are the biggest bullies in the flock. They're incredibly skittish, flighty and mean. I spent a ton of time with them as chicks and adults, does not make a difference. I thought maybe it was just that bunch, since the other two chickens from that bunch were also like that, though they were different breeds. Nope. A few months ago I got a SLW in a group of 8 various chicks. She is a nightmare lol. She's so mean and also terrified of everything and every one. She beats up and attacks her group all day and night. Even the ones that are nearly twice her size are terrified of her.

I may try one last time...lol I am a glutton for punishment. I want to add some golden laced and may another blue laced. Idk. There are much nicer breeds out there I should probably go for.
I had Wyandotte chickens and had no problems. They contributed to the flock just fine. Perhaps it was because I don't require my chickens to be lap pets and let them be chickens.

Well my thought on having a friendly chicken is when you need to catch them to treat them for illnesses that might occur and won't peck you to death cause your trying to help them.
That's what nightfall is for. Pluck them off the roost at dusk whenever you need to handle them. They are much calmer at dusk than at dawn.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom