Which breed should i pick???

Momofthewild

Chirping
Apr 9, 2020
So my husband said I could have more chickens!!! Lord have mercy. Chicken math is real and its real real bad. I saw a hilarious meme. Extremely accurate.
20200928_233104.jpg

Its like a drug. The excitement of getting more chickens is so addictive. Anyway....a breeder in my area has several breeds to choose from. I currently have silkies, ducks, and then a buff orp, barred rock, silver laced Wyandotte, a splash birchen marans, and a black birchen marans rooster...this breeder has available:
20200928_233528.jpg

What should I choose??? I definitely want friendly, calm breeds. Thats my biggest deciding factor. Most of my flock are brats. They eat out of my hand and come running to me for treats but not many of them enjoy being pet or picked up. Its always my goal to get ones that are cuddly but it hasn't happened for me so far. Except for my silkies.....anyway....please help! I think 3 is the absolute max I can add right now but 2 is probably more realistic.

Welsummer! Welsummers are by far the friendliest breed I have and they lay the best speckled brown eggs! Marans are also great, mine are very docile and lay chocolate brown eggs. Olive eggers are nice to add great color to your basket.

The Ancona because it's a beauty to look at and a heritage breed. I saw when I was looking for chickens on the livestock conservancy that these are on the watch list. Meaning they are loosing popularity which can lead to eventual extinction.
Handle chicks and young birds often and they can develop a friendly relationship with you as they mature.

Back
Top Bottom