Which breed to get as companion to Red Star?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AaronK, Sep 17, 2009.

1. AaronK

AaronK Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2009
    Hi All,

I am searching for 1 companion to my Red Star hen, and was wondering if anyone might have any strong opinions about my choices:

-australorp
    -barred rock
    -red star

What i particularly like about my red star is how friendly she is, how enormous her eggs are in comparison to body size (doen't that HURT?!?![​IMG]), and how quiet she is.

Still, if i could get all that + variety, why not, right?

I do need a good layer, ability to handle confinement in my chicken tractor, and similar winter hardiness as the red star.

what say you?

2. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    [​IMG] Any of the breeds you have picked are great..stay undecisive and get them all [​IMG] But I'm not the best one to give advise on that..I can't count all of my chickens before or after they hatch [​IMG]

3. AaronK

Sep 14, 2009
    hah! i wish i could. but maybe I should underscore that _1_. it's hard - i really want more, especially as 'insurance' but it just wont work.

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I have all you listed plus a *few* more. The red star pullets have been far and away the best layers. They started first, lay every day, and have huge dark brown eggs. If you can only have one more, but would like something different how about trying a black star? That should give you the consistancy you need with only having two chickens and still have something different in the coop.

Forgot...If you only have access to the ones you listed I'd go with another red star. One of my BR's was determined to go broody earlier this year (no roos at the time so it wasn't helpfull) and one of the deciding factors for me in getting the Austrolorps was that they are known for going broody. An occasional broody hen is great for me since I have fertile eggs and won't miss a hen or two that goes out of production, but I think it would be a problem for you.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  5. AaronK

Sep 14, 2009
    well, that convinced me. im getting another red star. thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by