Which breed?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by AnitaE, Sep 23, 2014.

1. AnitaE

AnitaE Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2008
    Jena, Louisiana
    I have 2 Sebastopol geese(males) and I want to get 2 females....I have the opportunity to get either 2 female toulouse or 2 female embden(SP?) which breed would work well with my sebastopol? My boys are total sweethearts...so I want females with simular dispositions. Also these females are a yr. old...so is it possible to tame them totally down like my boys are?

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Sebastapool's are extremely tame birds and you would have more of struggle taming any other goose than a Sebastapool. For the which breed you want I would talk to people who breed them and raise them to see what they think about the breed.

3. HumbleHen207

HumbleHen207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2013
    Maine
    American buffs are a little easier to come by and extremely mellow. They are my favorite birds on the whole farm, thsir gorgeous feathers are only a bonus to their wonderful personalities!

4. kimberly35042

kimberly35042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2009
    Central Alabama
    I've had American geese and Sebastopols. Both are incredibly good birds for a home flock. If by tame you mean eat out of a bucket you are holding, both breeds do that. If you mean sit on your lap and enjoy it, well I don't cuddle the waterfowl. lol

5. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    I have dewlap toulouse, african and production toulouse. I also work with my local bird rescue and spend time with all types of geese. I have hatchd my own and acquired them from babies to elderly ones. I find it all depends on both past experiences and the individual personality regardless of breed.

Hey Kim! Good to see you. :)

6. kimberly35042

kimberly35042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2009
    Central Alabama
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by