Which breeds go broody

Alleyoops25

Songster
12 Years
May 14, 2007
Colorado
My DH and I have been talking about chickens. Since he is on the recovery from a major life or death illness he hasnt been able to do much but watch them. He was wondering what breeds of chickens tend to be the most broody. All my chickens have nevevr done it and we would like to get some who would so I didnt have to use a incubator much.

Well thanks guys I have a orpington this May she will be a year old. So maybe I will get lucky and she will sit on some eggs for me. I really need to up the number of chickens I have. And am going to spend a lot of time incubating eggs this year. It would be nice if they would do some of the work. And I was sure I read in a hatchery catalog that silkies do go broody, so thats good to know. What about polish, hamburgs, white rocks, RIR, and Marans ?

I also have to second the response of Cochins or Silkies. I've hatched chicks with both of those breeds.

Also, I know you can't beat an Old English Game hen for mothering abilities, although I've never owned the breed, personally.

I've had two white rock pullets show some broodiness, and one of them for sure was setting on some eggs for about a week, before she quit...granted she won't be a year old until July.

I also have a small buff hen, that is setting on her first clutch, day 21 is tomorrow. She is buff, with buff colored legs-not yellow...thought she was a rock, but researching leg color now I don't know what she is...buff orp, but she is really small compared to my brahmas.

I have a BLRW,a Partridge Rock and a Light Brahma all sitting right now.oh and I also have a mutt hen that I took in a few months ago and she is sitting on a couple of eggs.I have no idea what breed she has in her.

My bantam girls always seemed to be going broody: old english game, black tailed buff japanese, silkies (the most broody of ALL, I think), and also my standard cochin and light brahma. You can NOT go wrong with silkies except I had one I think was mentally challenged. I couldn't let her brood eggs because she'd leave hers and go sit on somebody else's or she would roll them next to her instead of under her. I guess there's one in every crowd. LOL

Ellen
John 11:25,26

Back
Top Bottom