which breeds lay speckled eggs?

kittykorat

Songster
10 Years
Aug 12, 2009
Central MA
I have 6 six month old pullets. The white rock that lays light brown eggs with dark brown speckles. I think the speckles are so cool.
The australorpe lays small light brown eggs, no speckes. The EE's are still freeloaders.
I have room for 3 more hens in the coop... I want more pretty eggs. What other breeds lay speckled eggs?

Last edited:
Sometimes my green eggs have brownish speckles...not attractive. My welsummers also had speckles that were not attractive...so my point is, you may get speckled eggs but not pretty ones.

Breeder Welsummers lay a terra cotta colored egg, but mine, like many others, is a hatchery bird. She lays nice sort-of medium brown eggs, and recently they have been speckled. I was actually hoping for the speckles rather than the terra cotta because they are so interesting looking. The speckles are actually a little bit purpley looking, so I don't know if they would appeal to everyone, but I love them! I think they are pretty, and so interesting!

I hatched my welsummers and some of the eggs were speckled. My favorite speckled egg never hatched though.
hit.gif
I'm waiting on my 2 pullets to start laying. They are 21 weeks old.

My hens occasionally lay speckled eggs. They always get the same feed and free range only in the late afternoon/early evening, so I don't know if it's linked to anything in particular. Sometimes they lay speckled and sometimes they lay solid eggs.

My hatchery Welsummers, both my 5 year old and my 1 year olds. have periocially given me speckled eggs. I have a lot of other breeds as well, but only the Welsummers seem to splash their eggs with darker pigment on occasion. Not sure why, of course.

Back
Top Bottom