Which breeds of geese are least aggressive?

ChickenGrass

Songster
8 Years
Aug 16, 2015
Ireland
Hi all
I was thinking of maybe getting a few geese.
I have ducks and I was wondering would they be compatible?
I was also wondering can geese fly?
My next question is which are the least aggressive geese?
Do geese know where home is like if you let them out will the remember home?
And final question,is there many predators of geese?
I have 3 dogs and I don think they would attack the geese but you never know.
The reason I am asking do geese know where home is because my house is surrounded my Forrest and they is a river at the bottom of my farm.
I know it is a lot of questions but hopefully I can find some answers
Thank you
Fionn.

Hi all
I was thinking of maybe getting a few geese.
I have ducks and I was wondering would they be compatible?
I was also wondering can geese fly?
My next question is which are the least aggressive geese?
Do geese know where home is like if you let them out will the remember home?
And final question,is there many predators of geese?
I have 3 dogs and I don think they would attack the geese but you never know.
The reason I am asking do geese know where home is because my house is surrounded my Forrest and they is a river at the bottom of my farm.
I know it is a lot of questions but hopefully I can find some answers
Thank you
Fionn.
You might want to check out Pilgrim or Toulouse or American [not sure you can get them in Ireland] But these 3 are suppose to be least aggressive.My Toulouse female is very laid back. And Sebastopol [sp] but if you decide on a pair all ganders are very protective of their mates especially when breeding season comes around. And both are going to be protective of their goslings. I have ducks and my geese and ducks live together during the day but have their own separate living quarters at night. My dogs have grown up around my geese but I don't let them be together unless we are with them the geese are bullies and my med size dog has grabbed my gander before. So dogs and geese can live in same property but need supervision.

Geese will know where home is once they get use to their living place but they will be drawn to water so if they free range and find the river you may have a problem getting them home. And yes there are quite a few preds that love goose for dinner foxes being one. Some geese can fly too But wing clipping can be done to keep them grounded.

Ok thank you very much for your reply.
I was thinking about getting geese but I still
Need to do some research.
Maybe if I don't get geese I can get some pure bred ducks instead
Thank you
Fionn.

Thanks he is my baby boy although now he is going on 6 yrs old. lol.I love Muscovy's they are great broodies great mamas and okay layers. They would probably lay better if they didn't want to brood all the time. lol
They are seasonal layers so they lay beginning in spring and finish up in fall usually mid Oct. Come in so many lovely colors too.

I live in Co. Limerick and have geese for sale so if you want some just pm me when ever ;)
My geese are well trained and know where to stay home and know their predators.

I live in Co. Limerick and have geese for sale so if you want some just pm me when ever
wink.png

My geese are well trained and know where to stay home and know their predators.
@ChickenGrass

Back
Top Bottom