Which breeds shoudl I get

mdbucks, are the Buckeye roos friendly to people? Trustable? Have you ever had one that you've had to protect yourself? Thanks.

gootziecat

My choice would be...
An Australorp, friendly, calm, great egg layers of big brown eggs (can you tell I love mine?
smile.png
)

A Barred Rock. Great egg layers, and the ones I've had have been pretty and friendly.

A Faverolle They are just so darned cute with those fluffy faces.

A black sex-link, know it's not on your list, but they have been some of the friendliest and most reliable layers I've ever had.

An Orpington, never had one, but have never heard anything bad about them.

And an EE, just to add some color. Their personalities vary, but the color range is worth a possibly grumpy hen.
wink.png

If you can, I'd add a Phoenix roo, just to have something pretty roaming around the yard. I love my guy, he's great with the ladies. Had a naughty spell once, but is not mean at all.

Oh god you guys are making this hard now I think I will get 1 BR 1 RIR 1 Buckeye 1 EE 1 Buff Orph + 1 Black Astrolope. Just to mix it up a bit

Thanks Henry

Quote:
Mine have never attempted to do anything to me or my kids, they allow the 9 year old to pick them up if in coop, if in yard they go the other direction away from the kids(so do I though).

Quote:
I would stick with the 2 buckeyes, and cancel the RIR, or BR, or EE, or Buff, or Austrolope, Ok get 6 buckeyes and lets call it good.
lau.gif

Ha Ha You Guys are touturing me I might just have to get 3 buckeyes and 3 delawares.

Last edited:
If it were me:

1. Domonique-barred and cold hardy due to the pea comb

2. Partrige Rock-hens are very pretty, like a double laced pattern

3. EE-colored eggs, gotta love that

4. Phoenix-these are very regal birds, a little flighty, and the hens are kind of plain, but they have great carriage

5. Silver Laced Wyandotte-lacing is a very nice contrast of silver and black, also cold hardy due to the rose comb

6. Red Sexlink- not on your list, but I think worth considering, the hens are a very pretty red with white edging, and they are FANTASTIC layers. As are black sexlinks, but I think the reds are prettier.

Doesn't really matter. Get what you want for all the reasons you want them and you'll be like the rest of us.... thinking of reasons to get more chickens...and ways to get them. lol! -Lynn

Back
Top Bottom