which brees behave well together?

catriona

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 24, 2009
Brodnax
I have narrowed the list of chickens I would like to order down to the following:

Ameraucana
Australorp
Cochin
Delaware
Dominique
Jersey Giant
New Hampshire Red
Orpington
Silkie
Rhode Island Red
Rhode Island White

I have owned Cochins, Rhode Island reds, and rhode Island whites before. I would also like to know which of them are more tolerant of small children under the age of 3.

I have silkies and buff orps. They do just fine with my 2.5 year old. I've always handled them and had my son around them so they're used to him

thank you for your response. that's what I was thinking as well. from what I have been reading Buff Orps and Silkies is at the top of my List. My brother lives next door and he has three children from 9 Months to 35 Months, and I want them to be safe.

I had a very peaceful little flock of Buff Orpingtons and Ameraucana at one time.

I don't think you would have much trouble with aggression from this combination.

Steve

Birds raised together have less issues than ones not raised together.

If you keep birds separated by breed and variety, so that, for example, a barred rock only ever sees other barred birds or a flock of white silkies never sees anything but other whites, etc., and then you later try to mix varieties or significantly different looking birds together, they can be aggressive or scared, depending on their individual nature of the strangers.

Back
Top Bottom