Which BYC member scares you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Breakfast smoothie?
E2FE43D4-BAE1-4ECE-AF4B-1FFD5110033D.gif

I have a bebe dux question... So far I have been using puppy pads and a towel in the brooder, but I also got some nice corn husk bedding. I've rolled up the towel and washed it, letting them use the puppy pads underneath while it's washing, and then laid down all new puppy pads and the towel again in the evening, once it's clean and dry.

How will I know when it's time to switch to using actual litter?
I always use litter right away. The only issue is how it sometimes gets in the waterer.

What's the reasoning behind not using litter right away? Are you afraid they're going to eat it?
I always started my ducklings on litter instead of towels so I don't really have experience with switching them over. I haven't had trouble with them eating it, either. But then again, I always use rough cut wood chips which would be way too large for them to eat.
Well I started the new chicks on paper towels too, since they are so tiny, it's easier for them to navigate than the shavings. I figured it would be similar for the ducklings, easier to walk on the smooth towel than all over the grains of bedding. I guess that's the main reason. I'm not sure if they will try to eat it, but I don't think it would hurt them anyway. It's also easier for me to swap the whole surface out that way, daily (2x), where once I have the bedding down, I'll just be changing the food / water tray out daily (obviously refreshing the water throughout the day as needed) but I didn't think I'd be able to change out all the litter but maybe every other day or every third day because of all the little pieces. I suppose if they look like they are duxking around a little easier on their feet, that would be a good time to introduce it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom