Which dog breed?

It is true these dogs are not suited for herding but if you are considering one for a pet, choose your breeder wisely.

The poor things are barely suited for life. If you need a brachycelaphic dog breed, find one of the breeders who are working on breeding them away from those horrifically flat faces. Dogs deserve to be able to breathe, and breeding them so they'll have lifelong breeding difficulties, for the sake of aesthetics, is cruel.
Anyone who tells you that it's "healthy" for brachycelaphic dogs to wheeze and snort is probably trying to hide what condition they're in, or is fooling themselves.

I'm a Jack Russell girl. They are crazy intelligent, loyal, cuddle bug dogs. They are giant dogs in compact packages. If gotten when they are pups it's easy to train them to keep their prey drive in check, and it's easy to exercise them because they are born pre-programed to chase and retrieve anything covered in tennis ball material.

When I get a big place in the country I will add an Irish Wolfhound and a LGD breed of some sort.

You might want to get a Jack Russell terrier
They are very loyal to there owner.
I have one she's called daisy.
She's so loving.
IMG_20181203_134241.jpg
IMG_20181203_134247.jpg
Here's some info about them:
The Jack Russell Terrier is a small terrier that has its origins in fox hunting. It is principally white-bodied and smooth, rough or broken-coated but can be any colour.
Jack Russells are an energetic breed that rely on a high level of exercise and stimulation and are relatively free from serious health complaints. Originating from dogs bred and used by Reverend John Russell in the early 19th century, from whom the breed takes its name, the Jack Russell has similar origins to the modern Fox terrier. It has gone through several changes over the years, corresponding to different use and breed standards set by kennel clubs. Recognition by kennel clubs for the Jack Russell breed has been opposed by the breed's parent societies – which resulted in the breeding and recognition of the Parson Russell terrier. Jack Russells have appeared many times in film, television, and print – with several historical dogs of note.

Life span: 13 – 16 years

Temperament: Fearless, Stubborn, Energetic, Athletic, Intelligent, Vocal

I copied this off the internet.

You might want to get a Jack Russell terrier
They are very loyal to there owner.
I have one she's called daisy.
She's so loving.
View attachment 1609099 View attachment 1609104Here's some info about them:
The Jack Russell Terrier is a small terrier that has its origins in fox hunting. It is principally white-bodied and smooth, rough or broken-coated but can be any colour.
Jack Russells are an energetic breed that rely on a high level of exercise and stimulation and are relatively free from serious health complaints. Originating from dogs bred and used by Reverend John Russell in the early 19th century, from whom the breed takes its name, the Jack Russell has similar origins to the modern Fox terrier. It has gone through several changes over the years, corresponding to different use and breed standards set by kennel clubs. Recognition by kennel clubs for the Jack Russell breed has been opposed by the breed's parent societies – which resulted in the breeding and recognition of the Parson Russell terrier. Jack Russells have appeared many times in film, television, and print – with several historical dogs of note.

Life span: 13 – 16 years

Temperament: Fearless, Stubborn, Energetic, Athletic, Intelligent, Vocal

I copied this off the internet.

Daisy is adorable :)

Some sage words of advice though...

If you have one dog, you have a dog. If you have two dogs, you have a half of a dog. If you have three dogs, you don't have a dog anymore.

I SO disagree with this. When I was actively showing I had 6 French Bulldogs, they were our family and treated as valued members. Each were given attention and care daily, it took a lot of work but they were all well trained, groomed and happy. They preferred us over each other, although they all got along well. Dogs, like children, reflect the care they are given. I only have 3 now, 13, 11 and 6 years old.

One breed that can fit all that criteria that hasn't been mentioned already is a pit bull. I know they have a bad rap but I've known hundreds of great sweet friendly pits. Prey drive varies a lot, some are high drive for sure. but I've known a lot that have zero prey drive. They are the snuggliest breed I know, and the coat is slick and easy care. I also think a Dobie or boxer might fit your needs, again, prey drive will vary, that is true of most breeds. If you get a Dobie, please check out the breeder carefully. They are prone to so many health problems, from hearts, spine and bleeding disorders. A good breeder will screen for all of those things before they breed their dog, and have paperwork to prove it. Don't just take their word for it, if they've really done their testing, they'll be happy to show you. They are really great dogs, but can be heartbreakers when you lose them way too young. Actually, same goes for boxers, they can have the same heart issues. Allergies too are an issue with boxers.
If you are willing to do the work of clipping them short every few weeks, a poodle could work for you. But it's a lot of work, shaving feet close is a must. I love poodles, so smart and trainable.

I thought of Pitbulls too, the shelters, sadly, are full of them. What I wondered was, how would you know ahead of time how strong a dogs prey drive is? That wouldn’t be something to find out after you got them home.

Back
Top Bottom