Which dog breed?

Pics

we3ernes

Songster
10 Years
Jan 2, 2013
China Spring, Texas
Having finally settled into our “forever house” (after 22 years and 15 homes while active duty military) we are ready to get a puppy. For years I’ve been wanting a standard size poodle (had some great experiences with them growing up), but after a few hikes around our 11 acres I’m doubting the wisdom of a curly-coated dog in an area full of sticktights (not sure what the real name is, they are tiny oval burrs that stick to fuzzy stuff, they wipe right off jeans and our slick coated miniature pinscher).

A little about us: we are a family of three and our daughter is 17. We have a min-pin (8yrs. old) and a cat (3) both of which live indoors. We will eventually have chickens, dwarf Nigerian goats, and bees. We live on 11 acres approximately 2 of which will be fenced off as a “yard”. We specifically want a puppy because we feel like our min-pin would adapt better to a puppy than an adult dog. We want something easy-going, snuggly (min-pins are fun, and funny, but not snuggly!), friendly, with a low prey drive, and easy to train. We are open to all sizes but would prefer something larger than the min-pin but not much bigger than a golden

I’d love to hear your recommendations!

20171201_134926.jpg

Are Dobie’s as high energy as min pins? The first four years of our min pin’s life she had to run on a treadmill to get enough exercise to bring her down to the level of a “normal” dog :eek:. Hoping for something a little more laid back than that this time!
Nope. They are funny, loyal people oriented dogs. I've owned 5 over the last 22 years. All rescues.
They are known as the Velcro dogs.

I have toy poodles in the TX hill country. I have to keep them shaved down and occasionally do have to pick stickers out of their hair. I don't think it is excessive how much we have to pull out stickers, but we could never get by with a "show" cut.
View attachment 1608718

If I could stick with my plan of getting a Standard Poodle that would be ideal! I have a good idea of their temperament (which is why I’ve wanted one) but not of their day to day care. So you keep yours on a fairly short cut and that seems to help?

Back
Top Bottom