Which dog breed?

View attachment 1609015 Don’t under estimate the value of a shelter dog. They are so happy to have a home. Go short hair if worried about up keep of fur. Mine is a papitese not a farm dog but she is a total Tom boy cutie. Took some training and an invisible fence on tonal to keep her home but older now and wonderfully intelligent dog. I keep her hair short to prevent mats. She is an inside dog but good around my animals and low prey drive and total cuddle bug. Max 10 lbs. Low shedding and low allergy. Labrador retrievers are intelligent and good family dog, Golden retrievers great loyal and smart to a fault but lots of hair etc.
Get what you want.
I love the idea of getting dogs from the shelter. And goodness knows they sure do need good homes.

If you get anything brachycelaphic (smushed face), be very careful about the degree of smush. Brachycelaphic dogs are extremely prone to breathing and eye issues because of how badly their skulls are misshapen. Those wheezing noises that pugs and the like tend to make are the sounds of them struggling to breathe properly, because their airway is massively constricted. They also tend to get skin infections among the folds. The cute face isn't worth them suffering all their lives because they were bred for aesthetics over function. Some of them even need surgery to be able to breathe properly. They also tend to be prone to hip and back issues because of how their bodies are shaped.

It is true these dogs are not suited for herding but if you are considering one for a pet, choose your breeder wisely.

Herding breeds tend to have a lot of hair, and high energy. They vary in guarding tendencies and size.
Livestock guard types are large, furry, independent, and very guard oriented. Not so much for obedience, and all that hair!
Retrievers vary; Goldens, Gordons, and Flat coats have longer hair. Labs and Chessies have shorter but dense coats, and all will shed.
Chessies are guard dogs, quiet in the house, and need good training. Labs vary, some are very busy everywhere, and some are quiet (usually the English). A Golden needs to have many old relatives, because of their common health issues.
So many choices!!!
Mary

Whatever you get tell us and send some pics?
Me? Right now I am just farming in my head (lol) I retired a few years ago, my husband retired shorty after ... then he was persuaded by our Mayor to come to work for the city :( We live in a smallish (13000) city and my husband has been very politically active (city/state and national) for 30 years. But now it is going to be my turn and next year (I hope) we are going to sell this too big house and move out of town. We’re pretty excited about it. I joined BYC to learn about my next passion ... chickens.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it :)

Me? Right now I am just farming in my head (lol) I retired a few years ago, my husband retired shorty after ... then he was persuaded by our Mayor to come to work for the city :( We live in a smallish (13000) city and my husband has been very politically active (city/state and national) for 30 years. But now it is going to be my turn and next year (I hope) we are going to sell this too big house and move out of town. We’re pretty excited about it. I joined BYC to learn about my next passion ... chickens.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it :)

We3ernes as far as dog purchasing. Wow you have been busy HennyPenny2019. Stick to it then. :)

One breed that can fit all that criteria that hasn't been mentioned already is a pit bull. I know they have a bad rap but I've known hundreds of great sweet friendly pits. Prey drive varies a lot, some are high drive for sure. but I've known a lot that have zero prey drive. They are the snuggliest breed I know, and the coat is slick and easy care. I also think a Dobie or boxer might fit your needs, again, prey drive will vary, that is true of most breeds. If you get a Dobie, please check out the breeder carefully. They are prone to so many health problems, from hearts, spine and bleeding disorders. A good breeder will screen for all of those things before they breed their dog, and have paperwork to prove it. Don't just take their word for it, if they've really done their testing, they'll be happy to show you. They are really great dogs, but can be heartbreakers when you lose them way too young. Actually, same goes for boxers, they can have the same heart issues. Allergies too are an issue with boxers.
If you are willing to do the work of clipping them short every few weeks, a poodle could work for you. But it's a lot of work, shaving feet close is a must. I love poodles, so smart and trainable.

Back
Top Bottom