Which dog breed?

I'm a Jack Russell girl. They are crazy intelligent, loyal, cuddle bug dogs. They are giant dogs in compact packages. If gotten when they are pups it's easy to train them to keep their prey drive in check, and it's easy to exercise them because they are born pre-programed to chase and retrieve anything covered in tennis ball material.

When I get a big place in the country I will add an Irish Wolfhound and a LGD breed of some sort.
Oh no, when we got our min pin people said, "they are second in energy levels to Jack Russel terriers". Holy cow! I know that a tired pup is a good pup, but I just don't have those energy levels anymore (if I ever did). They are tremendously sweet dogs though.

I don’t at all, and I’ve been watching both our city shelter and our local no-kill shelter’s webpages. The problem I’ve been finding is that the city doesn’t evaluate their animals at all, so you really have no idea of what temperament you are getting. The no-kill shelter does do evaluations, but since they get the ones from the city that are hardest to rehome they have long lists of things like “not good with cats” and “must be in a single dog home”. I keep checking back with high hopes and being disappointed.

That happened to my husband and I hence the Papitese. Well good luck to you all!

Oh no, when we got our min pin people said, "they are second in energy levels to Jack Russel terriers". Holy cow! I know that a tired pup is a good pup, but I just don't have those energy levels anymore (if I ever did). They are tremendously sweet dogs though.

So true! Same here.

I think you should and will get the dog you are drawn to. What I will recommend is to get a GPS tracker (Whistle is the best in my opinion). . . The only real concern is to be sure that there is AT&T cell coverage in your area. That is what Whistle uses to communicate with your phone.
View attachment 1609770

Unfortunately we have really, really bad cell service in this area. We were able to get a booster for our house, but it really only works in the house. All the workers who were here while building the house, regardless of their carrier, commented on how poor/non-existent their signal was.

We do chip all our dogs/cats and register them with HomeAgain.

I've never had one but, have seen several in the area - Shiba Inus - they are bigger than small/ smaller than medium sized. The seem like a nice breed without need for much grooming.
We lived in Okinawa for three years and Shiba's are all over the place there. My cousin here in the states has them as well. They are great with animals, but very standoffish with folks outside the family. Very much a one person dog.

My favorite is the Weimaraner. They are loyal, loving, and beautiful dogs. They have an extremely short coat that requires almost no grooming. Each hair looks like little eyelashes. They barely shed at all which is great. They are known to be a bit wild, but only if you get them from an unreliable breeder. They are EXTREMELY smart dogs, easy to train, and they are people pleasers. They want to make their owners happy. They do have a few downsides though. They have to have someone who is clearly dominant over them, or they will become leader and do whatever they want. Also, if you don’t have a good blood line, they are wild. My boy, blue, is the sweetest, most gentle dog you would ever know. He loves to cuddle, but he also loves to play. He is the perfect dog for us. We actually go him back when we lived in Texas, so if you are interested, I can recommend a great breeder. (We will only ever get Weimaraners from this breeder)
View attachment 1610007
This isn’t a great picture because I was holding a treat so he had “wild eyes” :gigI can get a better one later.
So blue is fully grown at about 80 lbs. they look a lot like labs, but they have sleeker coats, shorter hair, different temperaments, and they have bigger ears. They are super expressive, and good models, so you see them many times on dog food bags, and some people dress them up as people :)

I love this breed! Let me know if you have any questions about them or want any pictures or recommendations about them or another breed. (I also have Great Pyrenees, but I’m not sure how well they would tolerate the heat)

ETA: here’s a better picture I just took when I asked him if he wanted to go potty:p
View attachment 1610012
View attachment 1610013
I love the looks of weimaraners, but reading up on them there are a lot of cautions about cats and other small animals. Do you find that to be true?

But, you can sit on the porch and chuck a tennis ball for twenty minutes a day and keep that energy in check. My favorite thing is how long they maintain that healthy energy level. My girl is 11 and she hasn't slowed down a bit!

330F620C-7C8D-43EC-A392-73C2D269D3CC.jpeg
This was my dog, we went almost everywhere together, I remember someone once said when I was walking on my own, "Wow, I've never seen you without your dog."

His name was Fury, I've aged a bit since then as well lol., I was 17 here.

View attachment 1610008
View attachment 1610011
This was me and my dog Nakui. We had her till I was 11. She was the best example of a German shepherd I think I could ever find.

Back
Top Bottom