which eggs to put in

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ebonykawai, Mar 5, 2008.

1. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you discriminate when placing eggs in the bator or do you pretty much put anything in there? I don't mean cracked or dirty, but more along the lines of a healthy looking, normal sized egg. I'm asking because I have one that is really small, and I wonder if anything substantial can hatch out of it. Is it worth setting it or would you not bother?

2. cozycritters

cozycritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    A source I read said not to try with an undersized egg, but I have no experience, personally.

3. ebonykawai

It just seems like I'd be setting it up for failure. It's really quite a lot smaller than it should be.

4. ebonykawai

Just found this:

Select eggs to be set by carefully inspecting and candling them at the time they are put in setting trays. Do not set eggs that are cracked, double yolked, misshapen, oversized, undersized or dirty.

It was talking about duck eggs, but I think it would pertain to any eggs. I have my answer. [​IMG]

5. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    It could be a pullet egg and i have hatched fine with small pullet eggs an did not have small chicks when they grew off. If the egg is just small that does not really mean it is a problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by